Search

Neighbours living above Bethnal Green pottery raise alarm after smelling smoke

PUBLISHED: 07:44 19 March 2015 | UPDATED: 07:44 19 March 2015

sub

Fire crews tackled a fire in an artist’s pottery studio in Bethnal Green yesterday morning.

No one was in the studio on Columbia Road when the fire began on the ground floor of the building.

A family of four living in a flat above the studio raised the alarm when they smelt smoke and called the Brigade.

Firefighters found the fire was caused by a faulty electrical connection in the kiln and they quickly put it out.

A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said: “Neither the studio or the flat above it had any smoke detection which is potty in this day and age.

“It is essential that you have at least one working smoke alarm on every level of your home. Smoke alarms provide vital early warning and buy you extra time to escape if there is a fire.

“They can also alert neighbours to the danger of fire.”

Two fire engines and around 14 firefighters and officers from Bethnal Green and Whitechapel fire stations attended the incident.

The Brigade was called at 0738 and the fire was under control at 0751.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser