Bishop of London gives her blessing to £3m St Botolph Church scheme to help transform Aldgate
- Credit: CoE
The Bishop of London is backing a major community transformation of Aldgate with plans for new St Botolph’s community centre for families and City workers.
The £3 million centre is due to open in 2020 as part of the Aldgate Square rejuvenation which includes a new hotel next to the church, in an area that has undergone massive redevelopment.
“Transformation is the business of the Church,” Bishop Dame Sarah Mullally said.
“The Church has worked with the City Corporation on the regeneration to help transform the Aldgate area. It is now the turn of the church itself to be transformed.”
The scheme paid for by the City’s Churches grants committee includes a large hall that can be divided into three for community use, a café, office space and fully equipped kitchen.
You may also want to watch:
“St Botolph Aldgate always reaches out and serves its community,” the Bishop stressed. “We are reminded as we approach Christmas that a new born baby comes to this world to transform it.”
Parishioners like Natalie Coughlan have told the bishop that Aldgate “urgently needs more space for meetings and birthday parties” as well as youth services.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 10 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
The Rector, The Rev Laura Jørgensen, is to listen over the next 18 months to residents, City workers and others who pass through Aldgate to make sure a thriving space is created to “bring the community together”.