New City of London �1 gold coin goes online today
LONDONERS could soon be finding a new City �1 local’ coin in their change. Or they can go online and get it in real gold
By Clare Kane
LONDONERS could soon be finding a new �1 local’ coin in their change. Or they can go online and get it in real gold.
The coin is being specially minted to celebrate London’s heritage, featuring the emblem of the City of London which combines the cross of St George with the upright sword of St Paul.
Three circles on the coin picturing a castle, dragon, and ship represent Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast, with the flipside featuring the standard portrait of the Queen.
You may also want to watch:
It is inscribed with the City’s motto, Domine, dirige nos’ (Lord, direct us’), designed by the Queen’s goldsmith and jeweller, Stuart Devlin.
The coin made of base metal isn’t going into circulation until December.
But there is a 22-carat gold version available online from the Royal Mint at �595, or in silver at �32.
- 1 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 4 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 5 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 6 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 7 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 8 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 9 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 10 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff