New City of London �1 gold coin goes online today
LONDONERS could soon be finding a new City �1 local’ coin in their change. Or they can go online and get it in real gold
By Clare Kane
LONDONERS could soon be finding a new �1 local’ coin in their change. Or they can go online and get it in real gold.
The coin is being specially minted to celebrate London’s heritage, featuring the emblem of the City of London which combines the cross of St George with the upright sword of St Paul.
Three circles on the coin picturing a castle, dragon, and ship represent Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast, with the flipside featuring the standard portrait of the Queen.
You may also want to watch:
It is inscribed with the City’s motto, Domine, dirige nos’ (Lord, direct us’), designed by the Queen’s goldsmith and jeweller, Stuart Devlin.
The coin made of base metal isn’t going into circulation until December.
But there is a 22-carat gold version available online from the Royal Mint at �595, or in silver at �32.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week