New Constable is installed at The Tower in historic ceremony
HISTORY is being made tonight when a centuries old ceremony is broadcast live in the internet. General Sir Richard Dannatt is being installed as the new Constable at The Tower – the 1259th in the historic building s history. The former head of the Britis
HISTORY is being made tonight when a centuries old ceremony is broadcast live in the internet.
General Sir Richard Dannatt is being installed as the new Constable at The Tower - the 1259th in the historic building's history.
The former head of the British Army hit the headlines this week when he said his calls for more troops in Afghanistan had gone unheeded.
His supporters at the ceremony which has changed little over the centuries include Prince Michael of Kent and the acting chief executive of Tower Hamlets Kevan Collins.
You may also want to watch:
The General told the Advertiser he applauded the scheme which lets Tower Hamlets residents visit the historic building for just �1.
Watch the ceremony on www.constablesinstallation.org.uk
- 1 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 5 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 7 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 8 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 9 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 10 Contractors host Macmillan Coffee Morning before Stepney restorations begin