New Constable is installed at The Tower in historic ceremony
HISTORY is being made tonight when a centuries old ceremony is broadcast live in the internet. General Sir Richard Dannatt is being installed as the new Constable at The Tower – the 1259th in the historic building s history. The former head of the Britis
HISTORY is being made tonight when a centuries old ceremony is broadcast live in the internet.
General Sir Richard Dannatt is being installed as the new Constable at The Tower - the 1259th in the historic building's history.
The former head of the British Army hit the headlines this week when he said his calls for more troops in Afghanistan had gone unheeded.
His supporters at the ceremony which has changed little over the centuries include Prince Michael of Kent and the acting chief executive of Tower Hamlets Kevan Collins.
The General told the Advertiser he applauded the scheme which lets Tower Hamlets residents visit the historic building for just �1.
Watch the ceremony on www.constablesinstallation.org.uk
- 1 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 2 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 3 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 4 Councillor says he 'hopes to lose' next election
- 5 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 6 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 7 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 8 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 9 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 10 ‘Manhattanisation’ of Isle of Dogs concerns residents