New Constable is installed at The Tower in historic ceremony
HISTORY is being made tonight when a centuries old ceremony is broadcast live in the internet. General Sir Richard Dannatt is being installed as the new Constable at The Tower – the 1259th in the historic building s history. The former head of the Britis
HISTORY is being made tonight when a centuries old ceremony is broadcast live in the internet.
General Sir Richard Dannatt is being installed as the new Constable at The Tower - the 1259th in the historic building's history.
The former head of the British Army hit the headlines this week when he said his calls for more troops in Afghanistan had gone unheeded.
His supporters at the ceremony which has changed little over the centuries include Prince Michael of Kent and the acting chief executive of Tower Hamlets Kevan Collins.
You may also want to watch:
The General told the Advertiser he applauded the scheme which lets Tower Hamlets residents visit the historic building for just �1.
Watch the ceremony on www.constablesinstallation.org.uk
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 6 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 9 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards