New deacons get their assignment orders to help Bishop of Stepney run his east London parish churches
- Credit: Diocese of London
Seven new parish deacons have joined the Bishop of Stepney’s team of clergy in east London following their ordination at St Paul’s Cathedral.
The four men and three women were among 38 ordained into the Diocese of London, bringing professional experience to the clergy.
“They join us in east London in what is a place with a rich and vibrant history,” the Bishop of Stepney Adrian Newman said. “The seven are a varied group who are a sign of the health and strength of the church in this part of London.”
The seven are Roxane Liddell, Duncan Cowan-Gray, Anna Mason, Tosin Oladipo, Caroline Taylor, Matt Way and Aidan Bartlett, being assigned to parishes in Tower Hamlets and neighbouring Hackney and Islington.
Roxane had a career as a television producer before taking her first step on the path to priesthood. She has also worked for housing and educational charities including the Shakespeare Schools Festival and in a north London primary school.
You may also want to watch:
The new deacons are undertaking public worship, teaching and pastoral work in the community working with organisations like migrant centres and food banks. The office of parish Deacon is a step on the path towards priesthood and follows two to three years of training. Some 30 deacons are soon to be ordained as priests, having completed their training year.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 4 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 10 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto