New IT programme launched in Tower Hamlets to help dementia sufferers
DEMENTIA sufferers in the East End are to be the first in the capital to have their memories unlocked through a revolutionary new technology launched today. Elderly residents at Hawthorn Green Care Home in Redmans Road, Stepney are being given the cha
DEMENTIA sufferers in the East End are to be the first in the capital to have their memories 'unlocked' through a revolutionary new technology launched today.
Elderly residents at Hawthorn Green Care Home in Redmans Road, Stepney are being given the chance to use two interactive computer systems with the help of their carers that aim to improve their communications skills and trigger their own memories.
Researchers at the Universities of St Andrews and Dundee have spent more than ten years developing the Computer Interactive Reminiscence and Conversation Aid (CIRCA) system.
Dr Arlene Astell who led the research has been working with Sanctuary Care, which runs different care homes, including Hawthorne Green, to pilot the system.
You may also want to watch:
And from today dementia sufferers will be able to access different photos and video clips, supplied by archives from the BBC, ITV and Trinity Mirror group, on their computer screens and enjoy interactive activities.
Martin Valentine, director of Dementia Life Ltd, said: "Our systems are a collection of music, radio, pictures and videos that have specifically selected by the research teams. Both systems are touch screen and can be used by anyone with no prior computer experience.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 4 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 7 Barts Health NHS Trust reports one of lowest rates of vaccinated staff
- 8 Go-ahead given for 315 more homes in third stage of Blackwall Reach scheme
- 9 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 10 Man found stabbed on board night bus