New NHS dentist flooded with patients wanting to join
THE first dental practice in East London to be fully commissioned by the NHS has officially opened—with thousands of patients waiting to join. It opened after public demand for an NHS dentist
By Danielle Myles
THE first dental practice in East London to be fully commissioned by the NHS has officially opened—with thousands of patients waiting to join.
The William Place clinic in the Roman Road Market opened after public demand in the East End for an NHS dentist, following public consultations.
Primary Care Commissioning director Vivienne Cencora said: “People told us it was difficult joining an NHS practice. Many had to go to private practices which are more expensive.”
You may also want to watch:
The lack of NHS practices has kept half of the East End’s population away from the dentist for two years or more, according to figures, which has contributed to 35 per cent of children under five having more than five fillings.
- 1 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 2 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 3 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 4 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 5 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 6 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 7 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 8 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 9 Leyton Orient seal first away win of the season at Bristol Rovers
- 10 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
The worst area in the East End for dental treatment was Bow and Mile End, with just one NHS dentist for 50,000 people.
Practice manager Seema Sharma said: “There are inequalities in oral health in the East End with pockets of very wealthy areas and pockets of abject poverty.”
But things are beginning to improve. The new practice at William Place, in Roman Road Market, has been contacted by more than 3,000 people asking to join, with 800 already having treatment.