New Royal residents ride into Woolwich
King’s Troop Royal Horse Artillery rode through the streets of Woolwich yesterday to their new home.
Napier Lines is a purpose-built equestrian training facility and accommodation centre in Woolwich Garrison in Repository Road.
Mounted members of the troop saluted the Mayor of Greenwich and school children waved flags as crowds gathered on the high street to witness the spectacle.
Riding in full regalia, the troop included six horses that pull each of the six First World War-era 13-pounder field guns.
The guns are returning to the home of the Royal Arsenal – where they were built.
You may also want to watch:
The unit left its home in St John’s Wood, where it has been stationed since its formation by King George VI in 1947, earlier in the day.
- 1 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 2 Man, 20, found fighting for life at illegal rave in Bow
- 3 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 4 Trains being tested on Crossrail's Elizabeth line up to four an hour
- 5 Dog festival gets go-ahead for Isle of Dogs, of all places
- 6 Battle lost to save historic Whitechapel bell foundry
- 7 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 8 Pedestrian struck by motorcycle in critical condition following Stepney collision
- 9 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 10 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job