Search

New smoke detector saves women’s home in first 24 hours

PUBLISHED: 13:05 15 January 2009 | UPDATED: 13:58 05 October 2010

NO SOONER did a woman have a smoke detector fitted in her home in London’s East End when it may have saved her life in the middle of the night. The smoke-detector went off when the electrical fuse-box caught light in her ground-floor flat in Roman Road, Bethnal Green, in the early hours of this-morning

NO SOONER did a woman have a smoke detector fitted in her home in London’s East End when it may have saved her life in the middle of the night.

The smoke-detector went off when the electrical fuse-box caught light in her ground-floor flat in Roman Road, Bethnal Green, in the early hours of this-morning.

“The woman only had it installed the day before,” said a senior fire brigade officer. “She was able to alert emergency services immediately and we arrived in minutes.

“She might have been delayed raising the alarm if she hadn’t had the detector fitted—and was lucky.”

The fuse-box melted in the heat, but firefighters were in time to prevent flames spreading.

The London Fire service is stepping up its safety campaign for households to fit 'life saving' smoke-detectors.

It is also offering home visits where smoke-detectors are fitted free.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser