NHS cigarette squad’ patrols East End hunting for quitters
A CIGARETTE squad’ is patrolling the streets of the East End to persuade smokers to give up. The tobacco control team from NHS Tower Hamlets is touring neighbourhoods offering advice on quitting
A CIGARETTE 'squad' is patrolling the streets of the East End to persuade smokers to give up.
The tobacco control team from NHS Tower Hamlets is touring neighbourhoods offering advice on quitting.
Last day of the 'street patrols is tomorrow (Friday), before they start canvassing at Underground stations, street markets, leisure centres, dental practices, health centres and even the ASDA supermarket on the Isle of Dogs.
Smokers are being referred to special 'quit' sessions being held at centres across the East End.
You may also want to watch:
"Our clinics give pharmaceutical support to help make it easier to quit for good," said the Royal London Hospital's clinic coordinator Ronnie Troughton. "Many people see the New Year as the perfect opportunity to give up smoking."
Extra sessions are planned at Island Health centre in East Ferry Road, Millwall, next Monday (18) 6-7pm, and Thursday 1-2pm, at Poplar's Chrisp Street Medical Centre next Tuesday (19), 6-7pm, at St Stephen's health centre in William Place, off Roman Road, Bow, next Wednesday (20), 6-7pm, and at Whitechapel's Brady Centre in Hanbury Street next Friday (22), 1-2pm.
The sessions follow last year's campaign when 1,500 smokers registered. Wannabe quitters can get help online atNHS Tower Hamlets or call the free helpline on 0800-169 1943.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week