NHS cigarette squad’ patrols East End hunting for quitters
A CIGARETTE squad’ is patrolling the streets of the East End to persuade smokers to give up. The tobacco control team from NHS Tower Hamlets is touring neighbourhoods offering advice on quitting
A CIGARETTE 'squad' is patrolling the streets of the East End to persuade smokers to give up.
The tobacco control team from NHS Tower Hamlets is touring neighbourhoods offering advice on quitting.
Last day of the 'street patrols is tomorrow (Friday), before they start canvassing at Underground stations, street markets, leisure centres, dental practices, health centres and even the ASDA supermarket on the Isle of Dogs.
Smokers are being referred to special 'quit' sessions being held at centres across the East End.
You may also want to watch:
"Our clinics give pharmaceutical support to help make it easier to quit for good," said the Royal London Hospital's clinic coordinator Ronnie Troughton. "Many people see the New Year as the perfect opportunity to give up smoking."
Extra sessions are planned at Island Health centre in East Ferry Road, Millwall, next Monday (18) 6-7pm, and Thursday 1-2pm, at Poplar's Chrisp Street Medical Centre next Tuesday (19), 6-7pm, at St Stephen's health centre in William Place, off Roman Road, Bow, next Wednesday (20), 6-7pm, and at Whitechapel's Brady Centre in Hanbury Street next Friday (22), 1-2pm.
The sessions follow last year's campaign when 1,500 smokers registered. Wannabe quitters can get help online atNHS Tower Hamlets or call the free helpline on 0800-169 1943.
- 1 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
- 2 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 3 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 4 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 5 Campaigners oppose plans to change voting system for Tower Hamlets mayor
- 6 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 7 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 8 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 9 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 10 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy