No charges over Docklands man's death at G20
THE FAMILY of Isle of dogs resident Ian Tomlinson who died after he was pushed by a police officer after last year s G20 protests have said they are stunned at the decision not to prosecute the policeman. In a report issued today the Director of Publ
THE FAMILY of Isle of dogs resident Ian Tomlinson who died after he was pushed by a police officer after last year's G20 protests have said they are 'stunned' at the decision not to prosecute the policeman.
In a report issued today the Director of Public Prosecutions Ketih Starmer ruled that a conviction for unlawful act manslaughter, assault or misconduct in public office were unlikely as there was a dispute between medical experts about the cause of 47-year-old Mr Tomlinson's death.
Different doctors said the cause of news vendor Mr Tomlinson's death was either coronary heart disease or haemorrhage from blunt force trauma to the abdomen.
The Crown Prosecution Service report notes that: "Shortly before his death, Mr Tomlinson was struck with a baton and pushed very strongly in the back by a police officer, PC 'A', causing him to fall to the ground."
You may also want to watch:
In a statement Mr Tomlinson's family said: "The family of Ian Tomlinson are stunned by today's decision by the Director of Public Prosecutions, Keir Starmer, to bring no charges over Ian's death.
The family is urging everyone who is as horrified as they are about this decision to come to the protest organised outside of New Scotland Yard at 1pm today."
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
Mr Tomlinson took no part in the G20 protests and was making his way home when the incident occurred.