No charges over Docklands man's death at G20
THE FAMILY of Isle of dogs resident Ian Tomlinson who died after he was pushed by a police officer after last year s G20 protests have said they are stunned at the decision not to prosecute the policeman. In a report issued today the Director of Publ
THE FAMILY of Isle of dogs resident Ian Tomlinson who died after he was pushed by a police officer after last year's G20 protests have said they are 'stunned' at the decision not to prosecute the policeman.
In a report issued today the Director of Public Prosecutions Ketih Starmer ruled that a conviction for unlawful act manslaughter, assault or misconduct in public office were unlikely as there was a dispute between medical experts about the cause of 47-year-old Mr Tomlinson's death.
Different doctors said the cause of news vendor Mr Tomlinson's death was either coronary heart disease or haemorrhage from blunt force trauma to the abdomen.
The Crown Prosecution Service report notes that: "Shortly before his death, Mr Tomlinson was struck with a baton and pushed very strongly in the back by a police officer, PC 'A', causing him to fall to the ground."
You may also want to watch:
In a statement Mr Tomlinson's family said: "The family of Ian Tomlinson are stunned by today's decision by the Director of Public Prosecutions, Keir Starmer, to bring no charges over Ian's death.
The family is urging everyone who is as horrified as they are about this decision to come to the protest organised outside of New Scotland Yard at 1pm today."
- 1 Tideway super sewer arrives at Tower Bridge ready to bore east London
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Embleton 'frustrated' with late penalty which led to Bradford defeat
- 3 Leyton Orient boss Embleton not concerned about current formation
- 4 Why rogue East End landlords had to pay back £200,000 to renters
- 5 Leyton Orient slip down the table after late defeat to Bradford City
- 6 Shamima Begum will find out this week if she can return from Syria
- 7 East Ham man raped woman with his friend in Wapping park 23 years ago
- 8 Cigarette sparks fire in Poplar block of flats
- 9 Police raid cannabis cafe in 200-year-old Whitechapel building
- 10 Thugs attack each other with bottles of wine in supermarket mass brawl
Mr Tomlinson took no part in the G20 protests and was making his way home when the incident occurred.