No Chelsea trip for Orient as the Iron knock them out of FA Cup

Leyton Orient boss Ian Hendon (pic: Simon O'Connor).

Leyton Orient boss Ian Hendon (pic: Simon O'Connor). - Credit: Archant

FA Cup second round replay: Scunthorpe United 3 Leyton Orient 0

Leyton Orient were knocked out of the FA Cup after conceding twice at the start of the second half against Scunthorpe United to lose 3-0.

The winner of the second round replay at Glanford Park had a trip to Premier League champions Chelsea on January 10.

It seemed for the majority of the first half that it would be Ian Hendon’s men making the visit to Stamford Bridge, but they didn’t take their chances.

A string of errors allowed the Iron to take the lead in 55th minute and they doubled it shortly afterwards after Orient failed to clear a corner.

You may also want to watch:

Scunthorpe added a third deep into stoppage time to ensure it would be them facing Chelsea in the next round and not the east Londoners.

The O’s made three changes from the team that started at Mansfield Town in League Two on Saturday.

Most Read

Cole Kpekawa, who was unavailable due to the terms of his loan from QPR, dropped out of the squad all together.

John Marquis and Blair Turgott were on the bench with Frazer Shaw, Ollie Palmer and Bradley Pritchard starting at Glanford Park.

There was also a place among the replacements for young forward Victor Adeboyejo, who caused the Iron defence problems during his five-minute cameo in the goalless draw at Brisbane Road on December 5.

Scunthorpe got proceedings underway and made a nervy start as a poor headed clearance gave Jay Simpson an early sight at goal.

Orient’s top goalscorer blazed over the crossbar on the volley, however, but it was a positive start for the visitors.

The Iron did immediately respond as Kyle Wootton had a header saved by Alex Cisak in the away goal.

Despite that opportunity the home side were visibly anxious on the ball and the Scunthorpe supporters in the stadium could see that.

A few groans could be heard inside the opening five minutes with the magnitude of the game obviously causing understandable nerves.

Hendon’s side looked so composed on the ball and with 10 gone won their first corner of the match after Palmer’s shot was deflected behind.

Captain Mathieu Baudry won the header, Palmer kept the ball alive in the box and it came to Pritchard just inside the area.

The Zimbabwean shot towards goal, it took a wicked deflection and hit the post before the move eventually broke down.

It added to the confidence in the Orient team as they looked like the League One outfit in the opening exchanges.

A mistake by Sean Clohessy, slicing his attempted clearance, resulted in Jean-Yves M’voto bringing down Wootton on the edge of the O’s penalty area.

Luke Williams stepped up to take the free kick, but Jack Payne deflected it wide and the resulting corner was cleared.

That passage of play gave Scunthorpe more belief and they delivered a couple of dangerous balls into the box afterwards, but the east Londoners survived.

Orient responded, though, with Clohessy getting forward twice to good effect – the second time creating an opportunity for Palmer, but his header was comfortably saved by Luke Daniels.

Hendon’s men continued to get forward down the right and another cross by Clohessy won them their second corner of the game.

Like the first, this one also created a chance as M’voto was picked out by Lloyd James, but the big defender headed over when he should have at least hit the target.

The O’s continued to cause panic in the Iron defence with another corner, this set piece didn’t find an away player though.

Payne was dictating play wonderfully in the middle of the park and more good possession, but the visitors earned them another corner.

Baudry met James’ centre, but Daniels tipped over the crossbar in the 28th minute as Orient continued to get closer and closer.

On the half an hour mark they nearly went ahead again as the Iron custodian spilled the ball under pressure from Palmer.

He latched onto the loose ball and shot towards goal – Charlie Goode fortunately cleared for the hosts.

The ball bounced out to Pritchard, he tried to chest it down, but Daniels come across and it went behind for another corner.

James once again delivered another excellent cross from the set piece. But nobody from the visitors cold get on the end of it.

Scunthorpe briefly threatened seven minutes before half time as Scott Laird got some space and let fly from 25-yards-out.

Baudry deflected his effort wide and Orient defended the resulting corner with ease, forcing the Iron back into their own half which drew boos from the home supporters.

The Iron were given a brief moments respite in the 42nd minute when Pritchard needed to receive some treatment, but he was fine to carry on afterwards.

Palmer received a booking on the stroke of half time for a professional foul before one minute of stoppage time was added on.

During that the O’s had one final opportunity as Simpson turned smartly on the edge of the area, but his effort was blocked and it was goalless at the break.

Scunthorpe created the first chance of note after the interval as Shaw’s clearance came out to Laird.

He volleyed towards goal, but it went over the crossbar and remained goalless at Glanford Park.

Orient were attacking the away end in the second half and those fans were soon on their feet as Simpson and Pritchard nearly linked up to create an opportunity for the former in the box, but it was cleared.

McAnuff put a couple of dangerous balls in the penalty area afterwards. The Iron, however, managed to defend them well.

The Jamaican was becoming more prominent at Glandford Park, though, and cut back for Shaw to cross into the box, but Daniels claimed easily.

It was more even at the start of the second period, however, as Scunthorpe captain Jack King headed over a Luke Williams corner in the 54th minute.

A minute later and the home side took the lead when Orient completely shot themselves in the foot.

First McAnuff passed the ball across his own goal, which is always a risky move, but it did come to Clohessy.

The right-back’s pass back to Baudry was far too short however and the ball came to Neal Bishop, his shot deflected off M’voto and found the corner giving Cisak no chance.

The home fans were chanting ‘Jose Mourinho, we’re coming for you’ afterwards as suddenly the mood inside Glanford Park was lifted.

Scunthorpe were full of confidence now and on the hour mark things got even worst for the O’s.

A wicked corner kick by Williams caused problems in the Orient penalty area and King managed to divert the ball in from close range to make it 2-0 to the hosts.

Hendon would been frustrated after watching the east Londoners dominate proceeding during the first 45.

The first change of the night predictably came from the away side as Marquis and Turgott were introduced for Palmer and James in the 63rd minute.

Pritchard had a header saved minutes later, but it was comfortable for Daniels and the O’s looked shot for confidence themselves now.

Shaw picked up a booking in the 69th minute for a cynical challenge on Wootton just outside the Orient penalty box, but the free kick was cleared by the former West Ham United youngster.

The final roll of the dice by Hendon was to introduce Adeboyejo for McAnuff with 19 minutes remaining at Glanford Park.

It did give the O’s a lift as they began to dominate again and the Iron were camped inside their own half.

But chances weren’t being created despite the away fans urging their side on behind the goal.

M’voto went up front as the game edged towards its conclusion with the prospect of a third round clash at Chelsea now looking a long way away.

A Clohessy cross caused panic in the Scunthorpe box briefly, but Marquis was unable to get onto the loose ball before penalty appeal from Adeboyejo were waved away by referee Darren Webb.

The fourth official signalled for five minutes of stoppage time to be added on, which have the O’s a glimmer of hope.

But it was the Iron that confirmed their spot in the next round when Hakeeb Adelakun slotted past Cisak deep into stoppage time.

The full time whistle followed shortly afterwards to end Orient’s cup campaign and they will look to bounce back on Saturday at home to Yeovil Town.

Scunthorpe United: Daniels, Wiseman, Laird, Canavan, Williams, Madden, Bishop, King, Goode, Ness (McAllister 78), Wotton (Adelakun 83).

Unused substitutes: Anyon, Van Veen, Henderson, Boyce, Clarke.

Leyton Orient: Cisak, Clohessy, Baudry, M’voto, Shaw, Pritchard, Payne, James (Turgott 63), McAnuff (Adeboyejo 71), Palmer (Marquis 63), Simpson.

Unused substitutes: Grainger, Essam, Dunne, Kashket.

Attendance: 3,082.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus