150 pensioners pack Christmas dinner with turkey stuffing and a sing-along at Mile End
- Credit: Rehan Jamil
Pensioners had a right old knees-up with their Christmas dinner party at Mile End when 150 packed the Southern Grove centre.
The popular event is put on every year by Eastend Homes housing organisation, arranged through Link Age Plus charity since 2014.
"The Christmas lunch really has become the big festive event," the charity's Helen Dickinson said. "People book their places as soon as they can because of a fantastic atmosphere."
The dinner last Friday brought together friends, neighbours and housing staff with volunteers from the neighbourhood and from Barclays Bank HQ at Canary Wharf.
Eastend Home's community manager Paul Wilson said: "It's so rewarding seeing a community of older people coming together, thanks to the volunteers and their festive enthusiasm."
You may also want to watch:
The OAPs tucked into a three-course dinner, then had entertainment and, of course, a good old fashion sing-a-long.
- 1 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 4 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 5 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 500 deaf children wait to see if their education needs will be cut by Tower Hamlets Council
- 10 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars