OAPs in East End getting winter heating checks from Gateway Housing
- Credit: Gateway Housing Assoc
Hundreds of pensioners start getting visits from housing staff in a programme launched today in London’s deprived East End to make sure they are safe and well this coming winter.
The Gateway housing association which looks after several East End estates is looking in on tenants aged 70 and over in its Winter Warmers scheme with 300 visits planned by the end of the month.
“We know how vital it is keeping pensioners well and warm with winter coming up,” Gateway’s Mo Ali said.
“Our visits are crucial as isolation affects many older people. We can improve accessibility so they can get out and about.
“Last year we found out that one-in-five of our residents weren’t receiving a State pension.
You may also want to watch:
Our ambition this year is to improve the lives of 5,000 residents in five years.”
Heating systems are being checked to make sure radiators and hot water are running efficiently.
- 1 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 2 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 3 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 4 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 5 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 6 Fast broadband deal is signed for thousands of East End homes
- 7 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 8 Voting in the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Planning Referendum
- 9 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 10 Bronze Age hoard to go on show after 3,000 years and an extra year's delay
Staff are also chatting about health issues to make sure the pensioners stay well through the cold months ahead—and even asking whether they have problems of loneliness.
The visits follow a pilot scheme last year, when changes were made to heating systems in 55 homes to improve efficiency. An additional second visit is planned this time round to those with particular needs.