Search

Oh dear, gent stuck in lavatory—nobody knew he was there!

PUBLISHED: 17:23 08 May 2009 | UPDATED: 14:20 05 October 2010

FIREFIGHTERS turned up when smoke was seen pouring out of a bingo club in East London during the night. But it turned out to be cosmetic’ smoke set off by an old age pensioner who went to the loo and got locked in the building when everyone went home

FIREFIGHTERS turned up when smoke was seen pouring out of a building in East London during the night.

But it turned out to be cosmetic’ smoke set off by an old age pensioner who went to the loo at his bingo club and got locked in the building when everyone went home.

A crew from Bow fire-station turned up at midnight at the building in Stratford High Street to find the man had set off the alarm himself by moving next to an intruder’ sensor that fills the place with cosmetic’ smoke to confuse burglars.

They managed to speak to him through the letterbox and realised there was no fire.

Police arrived and contacted the bingo hall’s keyholder who eventually returned to unlock the building—and let the poor pensioner out.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the East London Advertiser