Old docks inspires UEL student Susanna Yi to win fashion award
A fashion design student inspired by the contrast between Canary Wharf and old dock buildings in London’s East End won the ‘Best of British’ competition last night (Weds).
Susanna Yi was handed the award by TV presenter Caroline Flack and Asda fashion brand director Fiona Lambert at Graduate Fashion Week in Earls Court.
The competition celebrating 2012 with the Olympics and Queen’s Diamond Jubilee was to design three outfits to represent the area around students’ university campuses.
“The East End and London 2012 provided a wonderful inspiration for my designs,” 23-year-old Susanna revealed afterwards.
The University of East London student got her ideas seeing the contrast between old dock buildings with the new architecture and contemporary feel of riverside apartments and Canary Wharf business district.
You may also want to watch:
She follows in the footsteps of UEL designer Le Thuy Le Thi, who won the Graduate Fashion Week ‘People’s Choice’ award last year.
UEL senior lecturer Caryl Court said: “Winning these competitions inspires other students to show their collections.”
- 1 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 2 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 3 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 4 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 7 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 8 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 9 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 10 'Grief and queer coming of age' theatre show to be put on for London Horror Festival
Susanna gets �1,000 and a chance to work with George at Asda in-house designers to see her winning range turned into a collection.