Old docks inspires UEL student Susanna Yi to win fashion award
A fashion design student inspired by the contrast between Canary Wharf and old dock buildings in London’s East End won the ‘Best of British’ competition last night (Weds).
Susanna Yi was handed the award by TV presenter Caroline Flack and Asda fashion brand director Fiona Lambert at Graduate Fashion Week in Earls Court.
The competition celebrating 2012 with the Olympics and Queen’s Diamond Jubilee was to design three outfits to represent the area around students’ university campuses.
“The East End and London 2012 provided a wonderful inspiration for my designs,” 23-year-old Susanna revealed afterwards.
The University of East London student got her ideas seeing the contrast between old dock buildings with the new architecture and contemporary feel of riverside apartments and Canary Wharf business district.
You may also want to watch:
She follows in the footsteps of UEL designer Le Thuy Le Thi, who won the Graduate Fashion Week ‘People’s Choice’ award last year.
UEL senior lecturer Caryl Court said: “Winning these competitions inspires other students to show their collections.”
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 4 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 5 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 6 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 7 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 8 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 10 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
Susanna gets �1,000 and a chance to work with George at Asda in-house designers to see her winning range turned into a collection.