Old Spitalfields Market nominated for Civic Trust award
TWO historic landmarks in London’s East End have been shortlisted for this year’s Civic Trust awards. Old Spitalfields Market and the Boundary centre behind Shoreditch Church beat off competition in Britain and abroad to get onto the shortlist
TWO historic landmarks in London's East End have been shortlisted for this year's Civic Trust awards.
Old Spitalfields Market and the Boundary centre behind Shoreditch Church beat off competition in Britain and abroad to get onto the shortlist along with 42 other projects from all over the UK, Ireland and Spain.
They are singled out for "excellent design and positive community contribution."
Old Spitalfields has undergone a huge makeover to its 19th century buildings opposite Hawkesmoor's world heritage 18th century Christ Church.
The makeover design has been recommended for its "sensitive refurbishment and the benefits it has bought to the community."
The Boundary is a hotel in a converted Victorian warehouse in Shoreditch, just a mile away, which also includes restaurants and bars, a bakery and a food store.
- 1 Japanese udon noodles chain to mark Canary Wharf opening with free bowls
- 2 New Kray twins book to explore lives of gangsters 'aside from the crimes'
- 3 Bow man appears in court charged with murder after body found in cemetery
- 4 Bow man accused of carrying out fatal hammer attack appears at Old Bailey
- 5 Riverside park extension above new sewage structures given green light
- 6 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 7 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
- 8 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 9 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 10 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
It has been shortlisted for its "sensitive changes to the locally-listed warehouse and the activity it has attracted to the traditionally industrial area."
A panel judges inspected the projects to select the final 44 sites for the awards shortlist. The winners are being announced on March 12.