Old Spitalfields Market nominated for Civic Trust award
TWO historic landmarks in London’s East End have been shortlisted for this year’s Civic Trust awards. Old Spitalfields Market and the Boundary centre behind Shoreditch Church beat off competition in Britain and abroad to get onto the shortlist
TWO historic landmarks in London's East End have been shortlisted for this year's Civic Trust awards.
Old Spitalfields Market and the Boundary centre behind Shoreditch Church beat off competition in Britain and abroad to get onto the shortlist along with 42 other projects from all over the UK, Ireland and Spain.
They are singled out for "excellent design and positive community contribution."
Old Spitalfields has undergone a huge makeover to its 19th century buildings opposite Hawkesmoor's world heritage 18th century Christ Church.
The makeover design has been recommended for its "sensitive refurbishment and the benefits it has bought to the community."
The Boundary is a hotel in a converted Victorian warehouse in Shoreditch, just a mile away, which also includes restaurants and bars, a bakery and a food store.
- 1 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 2 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 3 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 4 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 5 Former Tower Hamlets councillor publishes autobiography on life as a hijabi woman
- 6 Woman treated at scene as 40 firefighters called to Bow tower block
- 7 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 O2 Centre climb: Entertaining with fantastic panoramic views of London
- 9 Man accused of Yasmin Begum killing denies murder and burglary
- 10 V&A launches festival to celebrate 150 years in Bethnal Green
It has been shortlisted for its "sensitive changes to the locally-listed warehouse and the activity it has attracted to the traditionally industrial area."
A panel judges inspected the projects to select the final 44 sites for the awards shortlist. The winners are being announced on March 12.