Old Spitalfields Market nominated for Civic Trust award
TWO historic landmarks in London’s East End have been shortlisted for this year’s Civic Trust awards. Old Spitalfields Market and the Boundary centre behind Shoreditch Church beat off competition in Britain and abroad to get onto the shortlist
TWO historic landmarks in London's East End have been shortlisted for this year's Civic Trust awards.
Old Spitalfields Market and the Boundary centre behind Shoreditch Church beat off competition in Britain and abroad to get onto the shortlist along with 42 other projects from all over the UK, Ireland and Spain.
They are singled out for "excellent design and positive community contribution."
Old Spitalfields has undergone a huge makeover to its 19th century buildings opposite Hawkesmoor's world heritage 18th century Christ Church.
You may also want to watch:
The makeover design has been recommended for its "sensitive refurbishment and the benefits it has bought to the community."
The Boundary is a hotel in a converted Victorian warehouse in Shoreditch, just a mile away, which also includes restaurants and bars, a bakery and a food store.
- 1 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 4 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 5 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 6 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 7 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 8 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 9 Campaigners oppose plans to change voting system for Tower Hamlets mayor
- 10 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
It has been shortlisted for its "sensitive changes to the locally-listed warehouse and the activity it has attracted to the traditionally industrial area."
A panel judges inspected the projects to select the final 44 sites for the awards shortlist. The winners are being announced on March 12.