Old town hall gets lifeline’ cash to stop rot setting in
EMERGENCY repairs can now go ahead to save East London’s historic Grade II-listed Limehouse Town Hall from crumbling away. The dilapidated 19th century municipal headquarters in the Commercial Road is getting a cash hand-out from developers after being in disrepair for decades
By Mike Brooke
EMERGENCY repairs can now go ahead to save East London's historic Grade II-listed Limehouse Town Hall from crumbling away.
The dilapidated 19th century municipal headquarters in the Commercial Road in London's dockland is getting a cash hand-out from developers after being in disrepair for decades.
The former Limehouse municipal headquarters, opened in 1879, is 'home' today to four arts groups.
But it is in dire need of repair. The roof needs fixing, so do the windows and drainpipes to stop water leaking in and causing further damage.
You may also want to watch:
A charity formed to manage the building in the Commercial Road has been awarded �28,500 by East London's Island Development Community Fund with 'planning gain' money received by Tower Hamlets council from developers. English Heritage has also dipped in.
The repair fund now stands at �125,000, which means the work can start immediately and be completed by the autumn.
- 1 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 4 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 5 Green light for £1m in levies to be used for East End fire rescue ladder
- 6 Bethnal Green rubbish 'attracts rats' as 'pingdemic' delays collections
- 7 Remembrance to Bethnal Green's ‘perfect storm’ fire tragedy 17 years on
- 8 Trial of Poplar and Limehouse MP opens on 'housing fraud' charges
- 9 'Laughing gas central': Call for action on antisocial behaviour
- 10 No arrests after triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
The two-storey Victorian meeting house was taken over when the new Metropolitan Borough of Stepney was created in 1900 and council meetings were switched to St George's Town Hall in Shadwell-also now obsolete.