Ollie Palmer’s brace at Hartlepool United ends Leyton Orient’s winless run in League Two

Leyton Orient forward Ollie Palmer shows his support for his cousin Frankie after the full time whis

Leyton Orient forward Ollie Palmer shows his support for his cousin Frankie after the full time whistle (pic: Simon O'Connor). - Credit: Archant

Sky Bet League Two: Hartlepool United 1 Leyton Orient 3

Leyton Orient earned their first win since September 3 following a brilliant second half performance at Hartlepool United.

Sandro Semedo equalised for Alberto Cavasin’s team in the 55th minute before Ollie Palmer’s brace gave the O’s all three points.

It was a first League Two victory for their Italian manager since his appointment and a huge confidence boost for the east Londoners.

Cavasin made two changes to the team beaten 2-1 at home to Luton Town last weekend and both were enforced.

You may also want to watch:

Jay Simpson and Yvan Erichot missed out due to injuries and Jordan Bowery and Robbie Weir replaced the pair.

With Weir going into the centre of midfield, Jens Janse moved to right-back with Nicky Hunt partnering Tom Parkes at the heart of Orient’s defence.

Most Read

Paul McCallum and Aron Pollock were missing due to injury as well with Victor Adeboyejo, Sam Dalby and Josh Koroma all included among the substitutes.

The O’s got proceedings underway at Victoria Park and from the off it was obvious the hosts wanted to keep the ball on the floor.

A lovely passing move in the fifth minute presented Pools with their first opportunity as Josh Laurent picked out Padraig Amond, but he volleyed over.

Cavasin’s team settled and responded in the 12th minute when Bowery controlled and had a shot blocked from 20-yards.

Gavin Massey tried to pick out Palmer after, but his centre was cleared and Orient won their first corner of the match.

It came to nothing and then Pools began to dominate the encounter and should have taken the lead.

A wonderful cross by Nathan Thomas should have been buried by Amond, but he headed wide of the target.

Two minutes later and the influential Laurent played Lewis Alessandra through on goal, however Alex Cisak did well and parried the ball off the forward and won a goal kick.

It was two big opportunities wasted for Hartlepool and O’s nearly made them pay in the 21st minute.

Callum Kennedy’s free kick found Palmer at the back post and his looping header hit the crossbar and bounced away to safety.

Moments later and Nigel Atangana drove forward from midfield and played in Palmer, but his cross was cleared.

Orient won a succession of corners over the next four minutes, although unfortunately couldn’t make any of them count.

The O’s control of the game was ebbing and flowing and Pools again got on top by the half an hour mark.

Hartlepool had three different opportunities with Hunt brilliantly stopping two in between a Parkes block.

Amond then struck the crossbar in the 33rd minute, however he was offside and it gave Orient’s shaky back four a chance to regroup.

Pools number nine was present with another chance six minutes before the break, but headed Jordan Richards cross wide.

If Amond had been on top form, O’s could have easily found themselves behind at Victoria Park.

The visitors did respond in the 42nd minute when Trevor Carson had trouble claiming Kennedy’s cross.

Semedo’s effort was wild and off target, but Orient won a corner and had another chance to threaten.

Again Kennedy’s delivery was good and yet Hartlepool survived and it looked like remaining goalless at half time.

Thomas embarked on a mazy run and won the hosts a corner just as one minute of stoppage time was added on.

And from the resulting corner, Lewis Hawkins headed towards goal and Laurent was on hand to volley in from close range.

It was nothing less than Pools deserved after creating plenty of chances during the first 45.

Hartlepool started the second period brightly and vital interception by Parkes before a block by the same player prevented Orient going further behind.

Cisak was called into action in the 52nd minute when Hawkins headed goalwards, but O’s custodian saved brilliantly.

And three minutes later that stop looked all the more important when Orient equalised at Victoria Park.

Weir passed into Palmer’s path and he rolled out to Semedo on the right, and the youngster rifled a low effort into the bottom corner.

Carson should have done better with the effort, but the east Londoners didn’t care and celebrated with the travelling supporters.

It was about to get even better for them just seven minutes later when Orient turned the game on its head.

Atangana won the ball back in midfield and passed into the path of Palmer around 20-yards-out.

O’s big forward dribbled across the box before playing a 1-2 with strike partner Bowery.

Palmer then cut back onto his right foot and expertly curled into the bottom corner to spark jubilant celebrations.

It was another goal for the ex-Mansfield Town striker and he again celebrated by showing a t-shirt to support his cousin Frankie who was recently diagnosed with cancer.

Confidence was sky high now for Cavasin’s team with Massey intercepting a pass and curling wide minutes later.

And then 20 minutes from time it got even better for O’s after a wonderful move created the third.

Massey threaded a ball into Semedo and his flick put Palmer in on goal and he again made no mistake.

It was the type of goal Orient, with their quality, should be scoring more regularly and a wonderful moment.

Cavasin made several changes after the goal with first Alan Dunne being introduced for Bowery.

Semedo was then on the end of a rash late challenge and forced off with Ulrich Nnomo taking his place.

And Weir was replaced by Zan Benedicic with nine minutes remaining – the Serbian coming on for his debut.

Nnomo nearly made it 4-1 in the 87th minute when he dribbled past his opponent and forced Carson to tip wide.

Five minutes of stoppage time were added on at Victoria Park, but Orient looked comfortable and assured.

When the full time whistle was eventually blown, it was the O’s first victory in eight matches in all competitions.

Orient will host Crewe Alexandra next weekend and should have plenty more confidence going into the match.

Hartlepool United: Carson; Richards (Deverdics 87), Nsiala, Donnelly, Carroll; Featherstone, Laurent, Hawkins (Woods 78); Alessandra, Amond (Paynter 68), Thomas.

Unused substitutes: Bartlett, Orrell, Harrison, Martin.

Leyton Orient: Cisak; Janse, Hunt, Parkes, Kennedy; Massey, Atangana, Weir (Benedicic 81), Semedo (Nnomo 80); Palmer, Bowery (Dunne 76).

Unused substitutes: Sargeant, Adeboyejo, Koroma, Dalby.

Attendance: 3,700 (155 Leyton Orient supporters).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus