Olympic Park gets its own EastEnders postcode
The Olympic Park is to be given the EastEnders postcode, Royal Mail chiefs announced today.
The Games site has been allocated the London E20 postcode - used for the past 25 years by the fictional Walford in in the BBC soap.
Five new neighbourhoods - due to be created after the 2012 Games - and the Westfield Stratford City development will be included in the new area, which straddles the borders of four London boroughs.
Key venues at the site have all been given their own individual postcode, including the Olympic Stadium, which will be designated E20 2ST. More than 100 postcodes - which cover up to 99 addresses - have already been allocated in the E20 district.
Stephen Agar, Royal Mail’s director of regulated business, said: “It is fitting that such a significant development in London has been allocated its own easily recognisable postcode more than 150 years after the world’s first postcodes were introduced in the capital.”
You may also want to watch:
Olympic Park Legacy Company chief executive Andrew Altman added: “This is a new postcode for a new part of London.
“E20 will be one of the capital’s most popular districts focused on community-living, sport and entertainment.”
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 3 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 7 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 10 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
Royal Mail was the first postal operator to establish a postcode system, introducing the first postal districts in London in 1857.
The current code system was introduced in the late 1950s.
The most recent new postcode district to be introduced, prior to E20, was for the Highland community of Morvern last year.