Olympic troops leave Tobacco Dock to meet residents in Wapping
Soldiers drafted into East London to help with the Olympic security operation met Tower Hamlets residents in Wapping Gardens on Thursday.
Around 2,500 troops are temporarily stationed in Tobacco Dock, Wapping, with several of them taking time out of their schedules to meet members of the community and Tower Hamlets Mayor, Lutfur Rahman.
Lieutenant Colonel Brian Fahy, who is repsonsible for community relations during the Games, said: “We’re here today to express our thanks to the local residents and tell them a little more about what we’ve been doing for the Olympics.”
As well as explaining their work, the troops also helped parents and children complete military-style obstacle courses.
Vivian Wild, from Wapping, attended the occasion with her three children Raphael, seven, Xavier, five, and Amelie, two. She said: “The troops have been very friendly, chatting with the kids. It’s really great what the troops have been doing, coming out and doing activities with the young people.”
You may also want to watch:
Mayor Lutfur Rahman added: “It’s great to meet with the troops and hear about what they’ve been doing. They are here to do an important job, ensuring the peace and security of the city during the Olympics and I would like to welcome them to Tower Hamlets.”
- 1 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 4 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 5 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 6 500 deaf children wait to see if their education needs will be cut by Tower Hamlets Council
- 7 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 8 Lockdown dancing in your own living room goes online from Canary Wharf
- 9 Tower of London's Queen raven feared dead
- 10 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United