Olympics champion celebrates women’s sport at ExCel Centre
- Credit: Susannah Ireland
A British London Olympics gold medallist was the star attraction at a festival to celebrate women playing sport.
Boxing champion and Us Girls Rocks president Nicola Adams joined over 200 women for sports activities and health exercises at the ExCeL on Sunday.
Us Girls Rocks helps women from disadvantaged areas in England become more active by providing fitness and sport opportunities for them within their community.
In the last two years it has engaged over 34,000 young women from disadvantaged areas in sport, surpassing its target by 14 per cent.
Nicola said: “It’s great to see so many young women trying new sports and enjoying being fit and active. It was a real pleasure to get in the ring and spar with so many girls who have taken up and come to love boxing.
You may also want to watch:
“Events such as Us Girls Rocks that make sport about fun, fitness and friendship are what is needed to inspire a generation of young women to become healthier and more active.”
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 9 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 10 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe