Olympics minister pledges cash to boost 2012 Olympic tourism
THE CULTURE and Olympics secretary Jeremy Hunt is creating a new fund to help encourage tourists to visit the 2012 Olympics locations. Mr Hunt said today: Making sure we have a lasting tourism legacy from hosting the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games i
THE CULTURE and Olympics secretary Jeremy Hunt is creating a new fund to help encourage tourists to visit the 2012 Olympics locations.
Mr Hunt said today: "Making sure we have a lasting tourism legacy from hosting the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games is one of the most pressing issues for the industry, and a top priority for Government too. I want to do all I can to help deliver an increase in visitors to Britain in the years that follow.
"I believe no other country can offer such rich history, wonderful culture, or stunning countryside, and it's important we showcase to the world the amazing range of attractions and experiences this country offers.
He added: "But as well as encouraging more people from overseas to visit our shores, I also want to make sure we do all we can to get British holidaymakers to stay in the UK. So I'm challenging the whole tourism sector to increase the proportion of domestic tourism spend by UK residents to fifty per cent."
You may also want to watch:
Mr Hunt stressed that the UK would learn the lessons from other major sporting events such as the Olympics in Barcelona and Sydney, and Germany's hosting of the World Cup.
- 1 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 2 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 3 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 4 Highest point reached on new homes in disused Bethnal Green car park
- 5 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 6 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 7 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 8 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 9 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 10 Leyton Orient sign Theo Archibald on loan from Lincoln City