Omer Riza determined to stay at Leyton Orient no matter what happens this summer

Leyton Orient boss Omer Riza issues instructions from the touchline at Luton Town (pic: Simon O'Conn

Leyton Orient boss Omer Riza issues instructions from the touchline at Luton Town (pic: Simon O'Connor). - Credit: Archant

The O’s boss reveals the club are in talks with Michael Clark over signing his first pro deal, but Sandro Semedo has yet to agree a new contract

Leyton Orient fans stage a sit-in protest on the Brisbane Road pitch

Leyton Orient fans stage a sit-in protest on the Brisbane Road pitch - Credit: Archant

Omer Riza has reiterated his desire to remain at Leyton Orient next season and knows plans need to start taking place regarding the future of the Brisbane Road club.

The former Arsenal striker revealed after O’s relegation at Crewe Alexandra on April 22 that he was going to seek talks with chairman Francesco Becchetti.

But as of yet, the Orient boss has not been unable to sit down with the Italian and discuss his future or the club’s.

“The club definitely needs to start putting a plan in place and I definitely want to be here next year,” said Riza.


You may also want to watch:


“I think the fans have been great with me and the lads have taken on board everything I have asked them to do and obviously it has taken place in such a short amount of time.

“For me I have no other intentions than to be at Leyton Orient next season no matter what happens, but things need to be sorted out.

Most Read

“We should be prepping for pre-season and for next season with players and staff. All these preparations need to be done otherwise we could be left in limbo early on in the new campaign.”

Riza was able to reveal that Orient have spoken with centre back Michael Clark over keeping him at the club next season.

The third-year scholar has impressed since establishing himself as a first-team regular over the past month.

Leyton Orient defender Michael Clark knocks the ball forward against Crewe Alexandra (pic: Simon O'C

Leyton Orient defender Michael Clark knocks the ball forward against Crewe Alexandra (pic: Simon O'Connor). - Credit: Archant

But Riza did admit O’s could lose players in the summer with Sandro Semedo yet to agree a new contract at Brisbane Road.

“Most of the youngsters are still contracted here after this season and ‘Clarky’ has been in talks with the club about staying on,” said Riza.

“Sandro is under 24 and a contract was offered to him earlier in the campaign and if they haven’t come to an agreement yet then that is something that needs to be sorted out.

“But we don’t want to lose anyone. I certainly don’t want to, although with the current situation anything could happen.”

Orient will definitely bid farewell to several players this summer and almost all of the experienced ones, which most fans accept now.

The worry will be if some of the talented youngsters, who have caught the eye in the last couple of months, depart E10.

But with the intentions of O’s chairman Becchetti unclear, it is essentially impossible for anybody at Brisbane Road to plan ahead.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter