Open day at Sundial House centre for over 55s
THERE S a chance to look round a day centre which offers art and language classes, health care and a restaurant for the over 55s. Sundial House in Shipton Street, off Hackney Road in Bethnal Green, is throwing open its doors from 11am to 3pm tomorrow (W
THERE'S a chance to look round a day centre which offers art and language classes, health care and a restaurant for the over 55s.
Sundial House in Shipton Street, off Hackney Road in Bethnal Green, is throwing open its doors from 11am to 3pm tomorrow (Wednesday September 16.)
The events aims to encourage more older people in the local community to make use of the range of services offered by the centre. There'll be all sorts of fun activities and stalls, as well as free refreshments.
It is run by the Peabody Trust and offers assisted bathing, a hairdressers, a small shop, and three treatment rooms, which are used for regular visits from the community dentist, hearing aid service, chiropodist, and alternative therapists.
Other facilities include an accredited exercise class, a quiet room, an activities room, a meeting room, and a restaurant and drop-in coffee bar, which are open daily to people aged over 55 and their carers.
There is also a regular luncheon club and Life Long Learning and the Workers Education Association, run various activities at the centre including a local history group, and arts and sewing projects.
- 1 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 2 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 3 Update: Woman, 56, missing in Tower Hamlets found
- 4 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 5 Cyclist in 'critical but stable' condition after Whitechapel lorry crash
- 6 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 7 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 8 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 9 Flats under construction in Hackney Wick to be knocked down and rebuilt
- 10 Cyclist in hospital after lorry collision in Whitechapel
Age Concern holds weekly advice sessions in Bengali and Hindi as well as in English. Varied social events are held at the centre ranging from visiting theatre shows to celebrations of religious festivals like Eid.