Opinion: Residents deserve more than a council that is a ‘one-trick pony’
- Credit: Archant
Does anyone know what is going on with our schools? Tower Hamlets Council certainly doesn’t.
It seems Mayor Biggs Labour administration is only capable of doing - or attempting to do - one thing at a time.
Has it been so busy scrabbling to get children's services into some semblance of order after being slammed by Ofsted that it has forgotten about our schools?
The long-running scandal of the council not undertaking any Serious Case Reviews into the girls who left Bethnal Green Academy to join ISIL in Syria still simmers.
Last week I joined parents and pupils demonstrating outside Raine's Foundation secondary school as they demanded to know exactly what the fate of Raine's is. Do we have so many schools that we can afford to close a few? I think not.
You may also want to watch:
This week I've been contacted by parents and local people about their concerns of sudden mass redundancies at their local primary school. Where was the consultation with parents and the school community community of the impact of such redundancies?
Our borough deserves better than a one-trick pony council.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 4 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 10 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip