Opinion: Improving streets will make the borough a better place to live
- Credit: Archant
I’ve just launched my ‘Liveable Streets’ programme which will see a significant investment to improve the appearance and safety of our streets.
We'll be in touch with residents and businesses about the improvements you want to see in your area.
The aim is to enhance the environment and make it easier, safer and more convenient to get around by foot, bike and public transport, but without stopping necessary car journeys.
We'll work to stop back-street 'rat runs' through residential streets and reduce traffic congestion.
We want our streets to be safer with new crossings, 'School Streets' and 'Play Streets'.
You may also want to watch:
We are also improving our waste service with a new contract that has a greater emphasis on cleaner streets and recycling plus an extra team to clean up graffiti.
The East End has a long history of civic pride.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 4 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 5 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 6 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 7 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 8 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 10 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
Tower Hamlets is the best place to live in London and this will make it even better.