Opticians climb Kilimanjaro with an eye to raising funds for Vision Aid
EYE specialist Jayesh Maru was in perfect vision to see his way to conquer Mount Kilimanjaro. He has just returned after a treacherous climb, just thankful the weather held out, raising cash for Vision Aid
EYE specialist Jayesh Maru was in perfect vision to see his way to conquer Mount Kilimanjaro.
He has just returned to London with fellow optometrist Kam Gohil after a treacherous climb, just thankful the weather held out.
Jayesh, who runs Specsavers' Bethnal Green branch in London's East End, headed out to Tanzania to conquer Africa's tallest mountain and raise �3,500 for the charity Vision Aid Overseas.
"It was the most draining experience of my life, mentally and physically," he recalled.
You may also want to watch:
"We completed the climb in good time. But if the weather had been different, our guides reckoned our lives could have been in danger."
The pair took just five days to climb the 19,340ft peak, taking them through five major 'eco' zones.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 4 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 5 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 6 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London
- 7 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 8 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 9 'Set deadline to remove cladding,' Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 10 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
"We had to prepare for each zone which meant a lot of equipment," he added. "All of it we had to carry on our backs."
Jayesh and Kam still want sponsors and are appealing for online donations at the 'Just Giving' website. Vision Aid needs funds to fly out teams of volunteer optometrists and opticians to Third World countries setting up clinics to save people going blind for the want of an operation they can't afford.