Orient exit the cup but give Dons a big fright

Leyton Orient manager Ian Hendon looks on at Colchester (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Leyton Orient manager Ian Hendon looks on at Colchester (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO) - Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO

Capital One Cup first round: MK Dons 2 Leyton Orient 1

Leyton Orient crashed out of the Capital One Cup after conceding twice late on at Championship outfit MK Dons to lose 2-1 at stadiummk.

It was a tough defeat to take for Ian Hendon’s side who had looked brilliantly organised throughout and appeared to be heading for round two.

But an own-goal from captain Mathieu Baudry was following by another strike in the first minute of stoppage time and the O’s exited the competition in the first round.

The display was something to be proud of though as Orient coped with the Dons throughout the game and had chances to kill the game off too, but it wasn’t to be.

You may also want to watch:

Hendon only made four changes to the team they defeated Barnet two nil at the weekend with Alan Dunne, Blair Turgott and Ollie Palmer making their full, competitive debuts.

Only two members of the starting team, Alex Cisak and captain Baudry, were part of the side humbled 6-1 by Dons in April last season.

Most Read

Youngster Scott Kashket, who had impressed throughout the summer, started up top while second year scholar Victor Adeboyejo was included on the bench.

Charlie Grainger, Sam Ling and Freddy Moncur were also among the replacements as the O’s boss continues to show that he’ll give youth a chance this season.

Orient got the action underway and the home team got into their stride early with Carl Baker coming inside and testing Cisak, but the visitors responded with Baudry heading over a Dean Cox free kick.

The Dons were passing the ball about well and Hendon’s side were having to do a lot of chasing in the opening exchanges to prevent the hosts creating any clear opportunities.

Turgott may have done better when afforded space in the 16th minute, he dribbled past Dean Lewington but his cross towards Palmer was easily gathered by Cody Cropper.

The ball came back to the Orient winger immediately, though, and this time he went for goal, but fired wide from outside the area.

Although Karl Robinson’s hosts were enjoying more of the possession, the east Londoners were holding firm and defending well across the pitch.

Pritchard instigated a good break for the O’s in the 34th minute when he won the ball in midfield and released Turgott in space, but after beating a couple of players his effort was blocked.

Orient seemed to tackle confidence from that and a great bit of skill from Kashket won a free kick in the 35th minute. Cox crossed into the box and Baudry won the first ball.

He had the presence of mind to collect his own header before laying back to Cox, he again put in another excellent delivery and Dons captain Lewington made a hash of his clearance and diverted the ball into his own net.

It meant Hendon’s team led at stadiummk in the 36th minute and that was how it remained at the break, a contrast to the last time Orient played here when they were trailing 4-0 at half time.

Robinson’s side started the second period brightly and put some dangerous balls into the box. Dale Jennings, formerly of Bayern Munich’s second team, also cut inside and forced Cisak to parry away from goal in the 48th minute.

But again it was an effort from outside the area and the O’s soon regrouped, getting their defensive shape, and Cox had a shot blocked too after good work between Palmer and Kashket.

That pair were involved again in the 53rd minute with Kashket sliding in and the ball coming to Palmer, he made space but could only fire over the bar from inside the box.

Orient’s young attacker was showing his class again and Hendon was calling for a penalty when he went down in the box with Joe Walsh in close proximity, nothing was given by referee Simon Hooper, though, but the visitors started to look more confident.

Both sides were pushing now and the game became stretched but it was the away side that were starting to create the better chances. Turgott nearly doubled their advantage when a cross needed to be tipped away by Cropper.

After that Palmer got the ball in the box from Cox, worked a yard of space and got his shot off, but the Dons keeper got down well to save.

Home substitute Ben Reeves tested Cisak from outside the area afterwards before Sean Clohessy dribbled into the box and had a dangerous cross cleared for a corner.

Baudry went close from the following set piece and was even closer from the next dead ball opportunity as Orient looked for a second.

Dons, with the game moving into the final quarter of an hour, suddenly started piling the pressure on, though, and O’s were on the backfoot.

Hendon brought on Frazer Shaw and Jay Simpson to slow the game down and it appeared to work.

Nerves were building but they nearly went four minutes from time when Kashket latched onto a loose ball, ran towards goal and teed up Simpson. But Cropper pushed his low effort wide.

Orient went close from two corners shortly afterwards too as the seconds kept ticking away. Simon Church did have a chance from a header but it went way over the bar and Hendon’s men edged towards the second round of the competition.

However, in the 88th minute Reeves delivered a wicked ball into the box and Baudry could only direct his header past Cisak.

Three minutes of stoppage time were added on and O’s needed to survive, but unfortunately they couldn’t. A slick Dons move resulted in Church passed into Baker and he slotted into the corner.

The hosts came close to adding a third shortly afterwards but Cisak saved well from Church. Referee Hooper blew the full time whistle shortly afterwards to confirm Orient’s cup exit.

It was hugely disappointing for Hendon and co but once again there were plenty of positives to take from the performance.

Leyton Orient: Cisak, Clohessy, Essam, Baudry, Dunne (Shaw 81), Turgott, Pritchard, Moore, Cox, Kashket, Palmer (Simpson 81).

Unused substitutes: Grainger, James, Moncur, Ling, Adebayejo.

MK Dons: Cropper, Hodson, Upson (McFadzean 76), Walsh, Lewington, Rasulo, Aguza, Baker, Benavente (Gallagher 76), Jennings (Reeves 67), Church.

Unused substitutes: Martin, Spence, Tilney, Flanagan.

Attendance: 5,444 (390 Leyton Orient supporters).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus