Orient in the hat for the next round after stalemate with Scunthorpe

Leyton Orient head coach Ian Hendon (pic: Simon O'Connor).

Leyton Orient head coach Ian Hendon (pic: Simon O'Connor). - Credit: Archant

FA Cup second round: Leyton Orient 0 Scunthorpe United 0

Leyton Orient are in the hat for the third round of the FA Cup after putting in an encouraging performance against Scunthorpe United despite failing to break down the League One side.

Ian Hendon, celebrating his 44th birthday, watched his team more than match the Iron for long parts of the game at Brisbane Road.

They had chances to win the encounter too but both fell to Ollie Palmer and he couldn’t take either.

And that was the frustration for the east Londoners because they deserved to win the tie, but just couldn’t take their opportunities and will have to do it all over again at Glanford Park.

You may also want to watch:

Hendon was without various first team members for the visit of the Iron because of a number of reasons. John Marquis was suspended while QPR defender Cole Kpekawa unavailable due to the terms of his loan.

Goalkeeper Alex Cisak, midfielder Sammy Moore and top goalscorer Jay Simpson were all out due to injuries.

Most Read

It meant Jobi McAnuff made his first competitive start for the O’s since playing during the 6-1 defeat at MK Dons in April of last season.

Youngster Charlie Grainger was back in goal after getting over appendicitis and making his home debut while captain Mathieu Baudry returned following his injury problems.

Blair Turgott and Lloyd James lined up in midfield together, but Orient were thin on the ground with injuries hurting them.

On the bench was youngsters Sam Sargeant, Scott Kashket, Sandro Semedo, Freddy Moncur and Sam Ling alongside experienced former Millwall man Alan Dunne.

Facing the east Londoners for the first time since departing during the summer was Darius Henderson as he led the line for Scunthorpe.

Orient got proceedings underway at a blustery Brisbane Road, but both teams made a quiet start.

The first effort of note came when Henderson’s back pass was picked up by Turgott, on the edge of the Iron area.

He controlled and volleyed wide of goal, but had Ollie Palmer free to his right and the O’s forward was unimpressed that he hadn’t been picked out.

Scunthorpe responded with Hakeeb Adelakun firing well over the crossbar in the 16th minute, but it had been very even and a James free kick three minutes later caused some brief panic in the away penalty box.

Hendon’s men were slowly getting on top in the match with Baudry linking up nicely with Bradley Prichard moments later, but Luke Daniels in the Iron goal gathered easily.

Orient then created the best opportunity of the tie midway through the half after a quality pass by James.

He threaded a wonderful through ball into Palmer’s path, he turned smartly in the box, but fired wide.

It should have been one nil to the O’s but in the 28th minute it was nearly that scoreline to the visitors.

Baudry made a mistake 30-yards-out out from his own goal and the ball was worked to Adelakun.

He worked a yard of space and got his shot off, but Grainger was able to block the effort with his legs and then gather the rebound.

Chances were few and far between but despite having a weakened side out, Orient were looking good against the League One outfit.

McAnuff was starting to have a stronger influence on proceeding and picked out Turgott with a lovely pass eight minutes before the break.

Turgott spun in the area but couldn’t get his shot off so played it back to the Jamaican international, but his shot from outside the area was weak and saved.

A minute later and he was involved again, making a wonderful tackle in the Scunthorpe box, but Turgott smashed over from a tight angle.

Orient were on top now and another bright run from Turgott threatened the away goal, but his centre was just too in front of McAnuff and the chance was gone.

A minute of stoppage time was added on at Brisbane Road and a Luke Williams cross was tipped over by Grainger.

Williams took the corner and with the last play of the half the Iron nearly went ahead as Scott Laird flicked towards goal at the near post.

Grainger parried the ball into a dangerous area, but captain Baudry made a fantastic clearance and referee James Linington blew for half time moments later.

It had been a good half for the hosts as they were on top for large parts of the first 45 and perhaps should have come in leading.

The visitors pressed forward at the start of the second period and had a couple of threatening set pieces.

From one of them, the ball came out to Adelakun just inside the box and he forced Grainger to tip over the crossbar.

Orient responded, though, and created another good opportunity nine minutes into the half.

Palmer controlled and passed to McAnuff, he ran at his full back before back heeling to the over lapping Shaw.

The full back showed great composure to cut back before driving into the box and his centre found Payne, but the midfielder celebrating his 24th birthday fired over the crossbar when well placed.

Hendon made the first change of the afternoon and it was a positive one as Kashket came on to replace Pritchard just past the hour mark.

Orient then stepped it up a bit and created the best opportunity of the match 17 minutes from time.

Clohessy’s ball forward caught the away defence on their heels and it allowed Turgott to run through and get into the box.

He picked out Palmer, who had the simple task of tapping into the empty net, but got his feet tangled and deflected the effort away from goal.

It was an embarrassing moment for the big forward and summed up his time in front of goal over the recent months.

Orient didn’t let it knock their confidence with Turgott firing a shot wide moments later from the edge.

McAnuff went close 10 minutes from time when he combined with Kashket before working a yard of space and lashing wide of goal via a deflection.

Hendon decided to bring on young forward Victor Adeboyejo with four minutes remaining coming on in place of Palmer.

And the youngster immediately caused problems in the Scunthorpe defence, forcing them into a rash clearance, but Turgott could only flash his effort wide.

Adeboyejo then work a corner from nothing and the O’s maintained the pressure by forcing two more in quick succession, but they couldn’t create anything from them.

Kashket then caused problems on the stroke of full time, beating two Scunthorpe players before he was dragged down on the edge.

The youngster stepped up to take the set piece and got it over the wall, but it went just wide.

He was involved deep into stoppage time when a loose ball wasn’t cleared and he volleyed over from a tight angle.

Orient’s academy boys were causing all sorts of problems as Adeboyejo had an effort blocked by Daniels before Scunthorpe cleared.

A late break by the visitors then caused panic for the home fans, but fortunately they managed to survive.

The full time whistle followed to ensure the two teams will have to do it all over again at Glanford Park in around 10 days time.

Orient are now four matches unbeaten and in the hat for the third round, which takes place on Monday night.

Leyton Orient: Grainger, Clohessy, Baudry, M’voto, Shaw, Turgott, Pritchard (Kashket 61), Payne, James, McAnuff, Palmer (Adeboyejo 86).

Unused substitutes: Sargeant, Dunne, Semedo, Moncur, Ling.

Scunthorpe United: Daniels, Wiseman, Laird, McAllister (Ness 68), Canavan, Williams, Madden, Henderson, Adelakun (Van Veen 68), King, Goode.

Unused substitutes: Anyon, Boyce, Wootton, Sutton, Clarke.

Attendance: 2,540 (431 Scunthorpe United supporters).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus