Orient negotiating with Posh for Payne
- Credit: Paul Dennis/TGSPHOTO
Peterborough chairman Darragh MacAnthony reveals he is in talks with the O’s and a ‘few clubs’ about the transfer of Jack Payne
Leyton Orient are negotiating with League One side Peterborough United in an attempt to bring Jack Payne to Brisbane Road, their chairman Darragh MacAnthony has revealed.
The O’s have been linked with the midfielder and he has been muted as somebody who could replace Romain Vincelot, after he joined Coventry City last week.
Payne, 23, captained the Posh last season but was placed on the transfer list at the end of the previous campaign and is likely to leave the club.
Peterborough Today believe the former Gillingham player wants to move nearer to his native Kent and a renewal with his former manager, Andy Hessenthaler, has now been suggested.
You may also want to watch:
Hessenthaler coached Payne at Gills alongside Orient’s head coach Ian Hendon and it has been confirmed that the Brisbane Road club are in talks with the Posh to sign their captain from last season, although a fee will be involved because the midfielder has a year remaining on his contract.
MacAnthony, Peterborough’s chairman, tweeted yesterday evening: “Lots of questions regards Jack Payne & Leyton Orient. Nothing is agreed with Orient at present and they are one of a few clubs negotiating for him.”
- 2 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 3 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 6 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 7 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 8 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 9 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
The addition of Payne would boost Hendon’s options in midfield after Vincelot, Josh Wright and Marvin Bartley have all departed the club this summer.