Our kids are over-tested and under-educated
Dear Ed, I WELCOME the decision by Education Minister Ed Balls to scrap Science SATS tests for 11-year-olds. Our children are over-tested and under-educated
I WELCOME the decision by Education Minister Ed Balls to scrap Science SATS tests for 11-year-olds. Our children are over-tested and under-educated as a result.
Experts now confirm what has been obvious to teachers for years-that these tests have failed to show what pupils have been learning in class.
But the decision to abolish Science SATS while retaining them for Maths and English promises to produce the worst outcome.
You may also want to watch:
Test results at age 11 being a benchmark for whether or not primary schools are 'failing' are likely further narrow the curriculum for primary school pupils.
There is absolutely no reason to suppose that if Science SATS fail to test pupils about what they learn in class, Maths and English will do any better.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 4 Go-ahead given for 315 more homes in third stage of Blackwall Reach scheme
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 'Grief and queer coming of age' theatre show to be put on for London Horror Festival
- 7 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 10 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
The sooner we get rid of these tests and the league tables which go with them the better.
I wholeheartedly support headteachers and staff in boycotting SATS if the Government fails to remove this scourge from our education system.
Cllr Dulal Uddin
Respect Deputy Leader
Tower Hamlets Council
Town Hall, Mulberry Place, Blackwall