Outnumbered star Claire Skinner to read aloud for charities in Whitechapel
- Credit: The Reader
Actor Claire Skinner will be reading in Whitechapel tomorrow in aid of The Reader’s ‘Reading Revolution’ campaign.
The Outnumbered star will be at a free event in Toynbee Hall, Commercial Street, tomorrow from 5pm until 7pm.
Claire said: “This is the time of year when many of us are looking to try something new or make improvements to our health and wellbeing, and getting together to share in the joy of a great novel or poem is a way for all of us – regardless of age, background or life situation – to feel positive.”
The Reader is a charity aimed at improving communities and reducing social isolation through group reading.
It runs more than 100 reading groups in London and 500 across the UK.
You may also want to watch:
Research by the University of Liverpool indicates group reading can have a variety of positive effects on mental wellbeing, including an increased sense of ‘purpose in life’.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 8 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
- 9 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 10 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom