Outrage at Labour recruiting bid
A RESIDENT was left outraged after a Labour councillor tried to recruit her as she urged the Town Hall to help repair her road. Gloria Thienel and her neighbours handed over a petition to Tower Hamlets council last night
A RESIDENT who led a delegation to the Town Hall to get her road repaired was outraged after a councillor tried to recruit her to join the Labour party.
A furious Gloria Thienel and her neighbours handed over a petition to Tower Hamlets council in East London last night, calling for Stebondale Street on the Isle of Dogs to be repaired and resurfaced.
Gloria, who chairs East End Homes Leaseholders’ Association, told councillors she was “fed-up with the shoddy repairs” and claimed Labour councillors just didn’t want to know.
You may also want to watch:
The repairs needed to be done before the road “sinks into the Thames.”
She got up to leave when Labour chief whip Rachael Saunders ran across the council chamber with her calling card and asked if she would like to join the party.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 2 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 3 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 4 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 5 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 6 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 7 New Providence Wharf fire: Two in hospital and 42 treated at scene
- 8 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 9 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 10 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
But an angry Gloria responded: “I didn’t come here to try and get recruited! That is disgusting.”
She was furious when told that if she ever wanted to be a Labour councillor she should write to Cllr Saunders.