Outrage at Labour recruiting bid
A RESIDENT was left outraged after a Labour councillor tried to recruit her as she urged the Town Hall to help repair her road. Gloria Thienel and her neighbours handed over a petition to Tower Hamlets council last night
A RESIDENT who led a delegation to the Town Hall to get her road repaired was outraged after a councillor tried to recruit her to join the Labour party.
A furious Gloria Thienel and her neighbours handed over a petition to Tower Hamlets council in East London last night, calling for Stebondale Street on the Isle of Dogs to be repaired and resurfaced.
Gloria, who chairs East End Homes Leaseholders’ Association, told councillors she was “fed-up with the shoddy repairs” and claimed Labour councillors just didn’t want to know.
You may also want to watch:
The repairs needed to be done before the road “sinks into the Thames.”
She got up to leave when Labour chief whip Rachael Saunders ran across the council chamber with her calling card and asked if she would like to join the party.
- 1 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 4 Green light for £1m in levies to be used for East End fire rescue ladder
- 5 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 6 Bethnal Green rubbish 'attracts rats' as 'pingdemic' delays collections
- 7 Remembrance to Bethnal Green's ‘perfect storm’ fire tragedy 17 years on
- 8 'Laughing gas central': Call for action on antisocial behaviour
- 9 Trial of Poplar and Limehouse MP opens on 'housing fraud' charges
- 10 No arrests after triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
But an angry Gloria responded: “I didn’t come here to try and get recruited! That is disgusting.”
She was furious when told that if she ever wanted to be a Labour councillor she should write to Cllr Saunders.