Outrage at Labour recruiting bid
A RESIDENT was left outraged after a Labour councillor tried to recruit her as she urged the Town Hall to help repair her road. Gloria Thienel and her neighbours handed over a petition to Tower Hamlets council last night
A RESIDENT who led a delegation to the Town Hall to get her road repaired was outraged after a councillor tried to recruit her to join the Labour party.
A furious Gloria Thienel and her neighbours handed over a petition to Tower Hamlets council in East London last night, calling for Stebondale Street on the Isle of Dogs to be repaired and resurfaced.
Gloria, who chairs East End Homes Leaseholders’ Association, told councillors she was “fed-up with the shoddy repairs” and claimed Labour councillors just didn’t want to know.
The repairs needed to be done before the road “sinks into the Thames.”
She got up to leave when Labour chief whip Rachael Saunders ran across the council chamber with her calling card and asked if she would like to join the party.
- 1 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 2 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 3 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 4 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 5 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
- 6 Masks, PCR tests and boosters: New measures to combat Omicron variant
- 7 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
- 8 Leyton Orient could send goalkeeper Sargeant back out on loan
- 9 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 10 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
But an angry Gloria responded: “I didn’t come here to try and get recruited! That is disgusting.”
She was furious when told that if she ever wanted to be a Labour councillor she should write to Cllr Saunders.