Outrage at Labour recruiting bid
A RESIDENT was left outraged after a Labour councillor tried to recruit her as she urged the Town Hall to help repair her road. Gloria Thienel and her neighbours handed over a petition to Tower Hamlets council last night
A RESIDENT who led a delegation to the Town Hall to get her road repaired was outraged after a councillor tried to recruit her to join the Labour party.
A furious Gloria Thienel and her neighbours handed over a petition to Tower Hamlets council in East London last night, calling for Stebondale Street on the Isle of Dogs to be repaired and resurfaced.
Gloria, who chairs East End Homes Leaseholders’ Association, told councillors she was “fed-up with the shoddy repairs” and claimed Labour councillors just didn’t want to know.
You may also want to watch:
The repairs needed to be done before the road “sinks into the Thames.”
She got up to leave when Labour chief whip Rachael Saunders ran across the council chamber with her calling card and asked if she would like to join the party.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 3 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 4 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 5 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel
But an angry Gloria responded: “I didn’t come here to try and get recruited! That is disgusting.”
She was furious when told that if she ever wanted to be a Labour councillor she should write to Cllr Saunders.