Over 50s tone up for the 2012 Olympics
PEOPLE fighting the battle of the bulge’ are being encouraged to get fit in time for East London hosting the 2012 Olympics, with just three years to go for the Games at Stratford. The Parents for Children keep fit’ charity thinks more people, especially the over-50s, need to tone up
By Shanelle Hamilton
PEOPLE fighting the battle of the bulge’ are being encouraged to get fit in time for East London hosting the 2012 Olympics, with just three years to go for the Games at Stratford.
The Sporting Bunnies social enterprise thinks more people, especially the over-50s, need to tone up.
It is running a Three2go’ series of races at Hackney Marshes in September, which was launched on Saturday at Whitechapel’s Toynbee Hall settlement when up to 100 enthusiasts turned up.
You may also want to watch:
The series, which runs annually, follows last year’s Four2go’ events. The target this year is the 50-plus age-group, an idea developed by Eddie Brocklesby who is 66.
- 1 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 2 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 3 Docklands man pleaded guilty to firearms offences
- 4 Crossharbour scheme for 2,000 new homes on Isle of Dogs is halted
- 5 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 6 Working classes 'being pushed out by East End's gentrification'
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Driver threatened at gunpoint in Bromley-by-Bow carjacking
- 9 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 10 Police search park in Poplar after report of stabbing
“I didn’t start exercising until my 50s,” she admits. “But it’s so important to improve fitness at that age to lower the risk of health problems such as diabetes and heart attacks.”
The launch was also to get runners ready for September’s 5k run at Hackney Marshes and the East London Trail Marathon’ along the River Lea.
Training programmes and entry forms are available to anyone, from Three2go online.