Over 50s tone up for the 2012 Olympics
PEOPLE fighting the battle of the bulge’ are being encouraged to get fit in time for East London hosting the 2012 Olympics, with just three years to go for the Games at Stratford. The Parents for Children keep fit’ charity thinks more people, especially the over-50s, need to tone up
By Shanelle Hamilton
PEOPLE fighting the battle of the bulge’ are being encouraged to get fit in time for East London hosting the 2012 Olympics, with just three years to go for the Games at Stratford.
The Sporting Bunnies social enterprise thinks more people, especially the over-50s, need to tone up.
It is running a Three2go’ series of races at Hackney Marshes in September, which was launched on Saturday at Whitechapel’s Toynbee Hall settlement when up to 100 enthusiasts turned up.
The series, which runs annually, follows last year’s Four2go’ events. The target this year is the 50-plus age-group, an idea developed by Eddie Brocklesby who is 66.
- 1 Cyclist in hospital after lorry collision in Whitechapel
- 2 Flats under construction in Hackney Wick to be knocked down and rebuilt
- 3 Cycle paths joined up in Aldgate creates 'safe route' through east London
- 4 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 5 Whitechapel nun pens book of 12 stories to inspire selflessness in society
- 6 Warnings issued after four fox clubs found stuck in old car wheels
- 7 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 8 Mile End: Car crashes into bus stop during police pursuit
- 9 'Lucky' escape: Family flees Bethnal Green fire thanks to fire alarms
- 10 TfL: Revamped Northern line latest addition to ever-improving network
“I didn’t start exercising until my 50s,” she admits. “But it’s so important to improve fitness at that age to lower the risk of health problems such as diabetes and heart attacks.”
The launch was also to get runners ready for September’s 5k run at Hackney Marshes and the East London Trail Marathon’ along the River Lea.
Training programmes and entry forms are available to anyone, from Three2go online.