Over 50s tone up for the 2012 Olympics
PEOPLE fighting the battle of the bulge’ are being encouraged to get fit in time for East London hosting the 2012 Olympics, with just three years to go for the Games at Stratford. The Parents for Children keep fit’ charity thinks more people, especially the over-50s, need to tone up
By Shanelle Hamilton
PEOPLE fighting the battle of the bulge’ are being encouraged to get fit in time for East London hosting the 2012 Olympics, with just three years to go for the Games at Stratford.
The Sporting Bunnies social enterprise thinks more people, especially the over-50s, need to tone up.
It is running a Three2go’ series of races at Hackney Marshes in September, which was launched on Saturday at Whitechapel’s Toynbee Hall settlement when up to 100 enthusiasts turned up.
You may also want to watch:
The series, which runs annually, follows last year’s Four2go’ events. The target this year is the 50-plus age-group, an idea developed by Eddie Brocklesby who is 66.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 Building new tower block starts on Limehouse Triangle 'wildlife site'
- 5 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 6 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 7 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 8 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 9 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 10 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
“I didn’t start exercising until my 50s,” she admits. “But it’s so important to improve fitness at that age to lower the risk of health problems such as diabetes and heart attacks.”
The launch was also to get runners ready for September’s 5k run at Hackney Marshes and the East London Trail Marathon’ along the River Lea.
Training programmes and entry forms are available to anyone, from Three2go online.