Over-55s London sports competition coming to Copper Box Arena
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of older people from across the capital will take part in a special multi-sports celebration at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park tomorrow.
Up to 750 over 55-year-olds will represent 19 London boroughs in the 2016 Better Games at the Copper Box Arena.
The event is aimed at encouraging older people to become more active and to highlight the social and physical benefits that sporting activities can offer people of all ages.
Fittingly for a sports showcase taking place at a former Olympic venue, the day will be officially opened by British Olympic gold-medal winning swimmer Duncan Goodhew.
Actress Catherine Russell, who plays consultant Serena Campbell in BBC’s Holby City, will also help launch the fun and games.
You may also want to watch:
Participants will take part in nine sports including badminton, short tennis, table tennis and darts.
Short mat bowls, indoor bowls, timed cycle and timed swim will also feature.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 10 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
And for those fans of matching up the dots, dominoes will also be one of the competitions on offer.
Five of the six host boroughs – Newham, Tower Hamlets, Hackney, Greenwich and Waltham Forest – are among the 19 represented while Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park will also have its own team.
Catherine will be cheering on her local Lambeth team and could also be set to take part.
The event has been organised by charitable social enterprise GLL, which operates leisure centres across the capital under the Better brand including the Copper Box Arena and the London Aquatics Centre.
Visit better.org.uk for more information.