Parachutists land by 2012 Olympics site—without security alert
PARACHUTISTS have landed this-morning in East London close to the security-sensitive 2012 Olympics site. Two were spotted by a photographer coming down at Stratford. But the mystery deepened as Scotland Yard admitted it knew nothing about it
PARACHUTISTS have landed this-morning in East London close to the security-sensitive 2012 Olympics site.
Two were spotted by a photographer coming down at Stratford. But the mystery deepened as Scotland Yard admitted a few moments ago they knew nothing about it.
Photographer Dan McCurry was in the area taking shots of the sunrise at Bow Bridge, looking east towards Stratford, when the first parachute came into the frame, clearly seen descending towards the A11 westbound carriageway at Stratford High Street.
"I got a shot of the parachute as he came down to land," McCurry reported. "Then another shot moments after he landed on the pavement near the corner of Abbey Road and his chute deflated."
The parachutes appear to have come from the tall crane on the north side of the High Street near the Olympic site.
But Scotland Yard could throw no light on them.
"We know nothing of parachutists landing in the middle of East London," said a puzzled spokesman this-morning.
- 1 Cyclist in hospital after lorry collision in Whitechapel
- 2 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 3 Flats under construction in Hackney Wick to be knocked down and rebuilt
- 4 Cycle paths joined up in Aldgate creates 'safe route' through east London
- 5 Whitechapel nun pens book of 12 stories to inspire selflessness in society
- 6 Mile End: Car crashes into bus stop during police pursuit
- 7 Warnings issued after four fox clubs found stuck in old car wheels
- 8 'Lucky' escape: Family flees Bethnal Green fire thanks to fire alarms
- 9 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 10 'Staffing crisis' means children's hospice cannot offer end of life care
Police received no reports from passers-by and were not investigating.