Parachutists land by 2012 Olympics site—without security alert
PARACHUTISTS have landed this-morning in East London close to the security-sensitive 2012 Olympics site. Two were spotted by a photographer coming down at Stratford. But the mystery deepened as Scotland Yard admitted it knew nothing about it
PARACHUTISTS have landed this-morning in East London close to the security-sensitive 2012 Olympics site.
Two were spotted by a photographer coming down at Stratford. But the mystery deepened as Scotland Yard admitted a few moments ago they knew nothing about it.
Photographer Dan McCurry was in the area taking shots of the sunrise at Bow Bridge, looking east towards Stratford, when the first parachute came into the frame, clearly seen descending towards the A11 westbound carriageway at Stratford High Street.
"I got a shot of the parachute as he came down to land," McCurry reported. "Then another shot moments after he landed on the pavement near the corner of Abbey Road and his chute deflated."
The parachutes appear to have come from the tall crane on the north side of the High Street near the Olympic site.
You may also want to watch:
But Scotland Yard could throw no light on them.
"We know nothing of parachutists landing in the middle of East London," said a puzzled spokesman this-morning.
- 1 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 2 Building new tower block starts on Limehouse Triangle 'wildlife site'
- 3 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 4 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 5 Study asks: why are canals and rivers a watery lifeline during pandemic?
- 6 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 7 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 8 Report reveals scale of support offered by council during Covid crisis
- 9 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 10 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
Police received no reports from passers-by and were not investigating.