Parachutists land by 2012 Olympics site—without security alert
PARACHUTISTS have landed this-morning in East London close to the security-sensitive 2012 Olympics site. Two were spotted by a photographer coming down at Stratford. But the mystery deepened as Scotland Yard admitted it knew nothing about it
PARACHUTISTS have landed this-morning in East London close to the security-sensitive 2012 Olympics site.
Two were spotted by a photographer coming down at Stratford. But the mystery deepened as Scotland Yard admitted a few moments ago they knew nothing about it.
Photographer Dan McCurry was in the area taking shots of the sunrise at Bow Bridge, looking east towards Stratford, when the first parachute came into the frame, clearly seen descending towards the A11 westbound carriageway at Stratford High Street.
"I got a shot of the parachute as he came down to land," McCurry reported. "Then another shot moments after he landed on the pavement near the corner of Abbey Road and his chute deflated."
The parachutes appear to have come from the tall crane on the north side of the High Street near the Olympic site.
You may also want to watch:
But Scotland Yard could throw no light on them.
"We know nothing of parachutists landing in the middle of East London," said a puzzled spokesman this-morning.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 7 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
Police received no reports from passers-by and were not investigating.