Royal Mail’s parcel postboxes rolled out in Tower Hamlets
- Credit: SWNS
Parcel postboxes have been unveiled in locations across east London, including Tower Hamlets.
The launch of parcels postboxes across the UK will see Royal Mail convert existing meter boxes to accept parcels posted in the same way that letters are today.
These include boxes on Clove Crescent, East Ferry Road, Marsh Wall, Millharbour, Leman Street, Mansell Street, Middlesex Street and Wapping High Street.
The initiative follows a successful trial of the boxes in 2018 and the postboxes will include a wider aperture and secure design.
This is the first time parcel postboxes have been widely introduced in the UK, and the launch represents the first major change of use for the postbox since it was introduced 160 years ago.
You may also want to watch:
The change means that small businesses and marketplace sellers can post pre-paid parcels through securely designed parcel postboxes, in the same way that they currently post a letter.
Customers will also be able to post some return parcels at any time, seven days a week.
- 1 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 7 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 8 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel
Mark Street, head of campaigns at Royal Mail said: "The introduction of parcel postboxes in central, east and greater London means that customers can now send parcels with pre-paid postage and their returns in the same way that they do letters.
"The new parcel postboxes provide added flexibility to online sellers who might be running a business in their spare time and not keeping regular office hours."