East End parking restrictions to return
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
Parking restrictions across the East End will be enforced again from Monday after they were relaxed due to the coronavirus lockdown.
Tower Hamlets Council has said it will restart handing out parking fines from June 1.
However, NHS staff and other key workers will still be able to get free permits. The town hall has issued more than 4,000 key worker parking permits so far, it said.
“If you use a vehicle in the borough, you will need a permit to park during controlled parking times or you may receive a Penalty Charge Notice,” the council said.
“At the onset of Covid-19 lockdown restrictions, we introduced temporary measures to assist residents, visitors, businesses and key workers to be able to park, but most importantly to enable key workers to provide essential services at this challenging time.
You may also want to watch:
“As workers return back to work and use public transport it is likely to make social distancing more difficult and challenging.
“Therefore, we will continue to support frontline NHS staff and other key workers by enabling them to drive to work and park for free, in car parks and on-street parking bays.”
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 10 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
Key workers who have not already been contacted by Tower Hamlets and require a parking permit can email firstname.lastname@example.org from their work address and provide a full name, home address and vehicle registration number to check their eligibility.