Party celebrating tribute garden to the women’s movement to take place at former site of East London Federation of Suffragettes
- Credit: LBTH
A party is being held to celebrate the creation of a Suffragette tribute garden.
The Women’s Hall Garden Party will take place at the former base of the East London Federation of Suffragettes (ELFS) in Old Ford Road in Bow.
The event will celebrate the creation of a community herb garden by not-for-profit organisation, Public Works, to commemorate Sylvia Pankhurst and the ELFS. The garden will be next to the Morpeth Arms pub, where a Sylvia Pankhurst memorial pays tribute to the wartime distress centre she set up for women in 1915.
Residents from the nearby Clarion Estate, along with members of Public Works and the Women’s Hall Project, will host live music, exhibitions, suffragette workshops and a community kitchen.
The Women’s Hall Project is a programme of events and exhibitions exploring the work of lesser known Suffragettes. It’s running an exhibition at Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives until October 20, and a modern Suffragette photography workshop which will begin in autumn.
You may also want to watch:
Saturday’s garden party will run from 12-5pm at 400 Old Ford Road, Bow E3 5NR.
Find out more on the Facebook event at facebook.com/events/737690986594646.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns