Passers by prevent Whitechapel attempted armed robbery
- Credit: Archant
Members of the public helped to thwart an attempted armed robbery in Whitechapel yesterday.
Two men on a moped approached a security guard, who was carrying a cash box on Whitechapel Road at around 3.30pm.
One of the men got off the moped and assaulted him, leading to members of the public intervening.
They managed to help the security guard and detain one of the men, while the other one made off on the moped.
Passing firearms officers arrested the suspect before Tower Hamlets police arrived on the scene.
You may also want to watch:
The security guard received medical treatment at the scene, while the man arrested was taken to hospital with minor injuries.
The other suspect has not yet been found, but enquiries are continuing.
- 1 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 5 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 9 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 10 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
Were you one of those involved or did you see what happened? Call Sophie on 020 8477 3834