Paul McCallum and Harry Cornick on target as Leyton Orient earn point at Carlisle United in League Two

Orient captain Robbie Weir (right) congratulates Paul McCallum after he finds the net (pic: Simon O'

Orient captain Robbie Weir (right) congratulates Paul McCallum after he finds the net (pic: Simon O'Connor) - Credit: Archant

Sky Bet League Two: Carlisle United 2 Leyton Orient 2

Leyton Orient earned a point at Carlisle United after an entertaining League Two match at Brunton Park.

Paul McCallum and Harry Cornick were on target for the O’s, but they conceded a penalty four minutes from time to draw the game.

It was a fair result in the end and Andy Hessenthaler’s team made it three matches unbeaten in all competitions.

Orient kept the same starting XI which played the whole 90 minutes at Morecambe last weekend.

You may also want to watch:

The only change to the match day squad was the inclusion of Henry Ochieng on the bench in place of Josh Koroma.

Jay Simpson remained out with a back injury and Nigel Atangana was apparently feeling unwell.

Most Read

Carlisle included former O’s loanee Nicky Adams in their starting team, but Jabo Ibehre was only among the replacements at Brunton Park.

It was the hosts who started the brightest of the two sides and Mark Ellis volleyed a decent chance wide after Luke Joyce won a header outside the box.

Hessenthaler’s men responded with McCallum and Gavin Massey testing Mark Gillespie in the Cumbrians goal, but both teams appeared to be cancelling each other out with 20 minutes played.

But that soon changed with Michael Raynes first going close after a long throw as Nicky Hunt deflected his effort wide in the 24th minute.

Moments later and the Carlisle defender had another opportunity, but this time volleyed wide from the edge of the area.

Orient responded two minutes before the half an hour mark when Massey picked out Liam Kelly just inside the box.

The former Oldham Athletic captain curled over the crossbar when he probably could have taken a touch.

It was brief respite for the visitors, however, as Adams curled against the post in the 31st minute from 20-yards.

Kelly lost the ball just outside the O’s area two minutes later and fortunately for him Jamie Devitt’s effort was easily saved by Alex Cisak.

Carlisle’s number 17 was involved again shortly afterwards as he nearly picked out Shaun Miller at the back post.

After surviving what seemed like a never-ending onslaught, the east Londoners slowly began to get a foothold in the game.

First Callum Kennedy delivered an outstanding ball into the box, which McCallum could only head straight up in the air.

And then in the 39th minute McCallum and Kelly combined nicely just outside the home sides penalty area.

McCallum tried to pass into Bowery’s path, but the through ball was way over hit and tough to control.

Bowery managed it, however, and forced a corner after Gillespie was quick to get out of his goal.

Although nothing came from the set play, O’s were looking much more assured and keeping the ball nicely.

Eventually that composure paid off a minute before half time as Hessenthaler watched his team take the lead.

Robbie Weir kept the ball well and play ticking over before passing into Bowery’s path just outside the area.

The ex-Aston Villa striker intelligently flicked into McCallum and the Orient forward fired home to give visitors the lead.

On reflection of the whole half it probably wasn’t deserved, but there was no doubting the east Londoners had ended the first 45 strongly.

Keith Curle made a double substitution at the break with Charlie Wyke and Reggie Lambe replacing Ellis and Devitt.

And it only took less than 25 seconds for the change to work as the Cumbrians levelled straight after the restart.

Shaun Miller was given too much time on the right and he crossed in for the unmarked Wyke at the back post to tap in.

Adams nearly made it 2-1 to the hosts two minutes later, but his curling effort was tipped over by Cisak.

Ollie Palmer then replaced Bowery, who limped off, and O’s tried to regroup after a poor start.

Slowly Orient began to get more control again and Kelly flicked over two opponents before having a shot blocked in the 57th minute.

McCallum took the throw and it came for Massey, and he teed up Weir, but the skipper curled over.

The pressure continued from the visitors with Cornick beating his man and then putting the ball just behind Palmer.

But the AFC Bournemouth loanee did make his impact felt in the 64th minute at Brunton Park.

Cornick went past one opponent before coming inside and trying to beat another on the edge of the box.

After turning back the other way, Cornick accelerated past his man and lashed into the corner from 12-yards.

It was his first goal for the O’s since joining on loan and another lovely moment from the 21-year-old.

Carlisle seemed shell-shocked and Cornick threatened again in the 70th minute as his effort was deflected over by Raynes.

Ibehre was introduced with 20 minutes remaining as the Cumbrians looked to find an equaliser.

Sandro Semedo was the next man to enter the field for the visitors with 12 minutes remaining as he replaced McCallum.

The pressure was building from the hosts and it paid off four minutes from time when they were awarded a penalty.

Lambe got in down the right and his cross hit Kelly’s arm at close range and referee Ben Toner pointed to the spot.

Orient’s vice-captain was furious and he could only watch on as Danny Grainger fired the penalty into the corner with three minutes to go.

The fourth official added five minutes on at the end and despite both sides pushing, it finished level.

It was a fair result after an entertaining match and leaves the O’s eighth in the table ahead of hosting Yeovil Town next weekend.

Carlisle United: Gillespie; T.Miller, Ellis (Wyke 46), Raynes, Gillesphey; Jones, Joyce; Adams, Devitt (Lambe 46), Grainger; S.Miller (Ibehre 70).

Unused substitutes: Crocombe, Atkinson, Kennedy, Brough.

Leyton Orient: Cisak; Hunt, Erichot, Parkes, Kennedy; Massey, Weir, Kelly, Cornick; Bowery (Palmer 51), McCallum (Semedo 78).

Subs not used: Sargeant, Nnomo, Pollock, Judd, Ochieng.

Attendance: N/A.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus