Payne in Spain with Orient
- Credit: Paul Dennis/TGSPHOTO
Midfielder named in O’s squad to face Middlesbrough in pre-season friendly
Peterborough United’s captain from last season, Jack Payne, is currently in Spain with League Two outfit Leyton Orient, it has been revealed.
The O’s are currently playing a behind closed doors friendly match with Championship side Middlesbrough in Marbella – after flying out to Malaga yesterday (Tuesday).
Orient head coach Ian Hendon named a first half team that included three trialists, while on the bench was another trialist.
Boro tweeted a team sheet from the match with the names of both teams and listed Payne alongside Frazer Shaw, Connor Essam and Alex Woodyard – three players believed to have featured for Orient as trialists in Friday’s clash against Braintree Town.
You may also want to watch:
Therefore it is expected that the Posh captain Payne is close to completing a move to Brisbane Road after flying out with them to their training camp and being included in the team to face Middlesbrough.
Peterborough chairman Darragh MacAnthony said on Monday that “nothing is agreed with Orient at present and they are one of a few clubs negotiating for Payne.”
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 3 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 4 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 5 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 10 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
But talks between the two sides must have progressed since then with Posh allowing the player to fly out with O’s to Spain and feature in their game against Boro game this evening.