Pearly George is no ghost writer
Cockney Pearly king George Major arrives in style in his suit with 22,000 pearl buttons and weighing � cwt on a horse and cart to launch his children’s book in London’s East End at lunchtime today (Thurs).
His book is about a ghost pearly king coming back to earth to rescue sad kids.
But George is not using a ‘ghost’ writer—he’s penned his cockney novel, The Pearly Gates, himself.
The 78-year-old arrives at Spitalfields Market from Tower Hill at 1pm dressed in his heavy ‘whistle and flute,’ with his ‘trouble and strife’ Pearly queen Katherine—they’ve been spliced 31 years—and two grandchildren who are the Pearly prince and princess of Lambeth Walk.
He is donating the profits to the Sick Children’s Trust at the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel.
You may also want to watch:
“I got the idea for the book during a talk I gave in an East End school about the history of pearly kings and costermongers,” he said.
“One little girl put her hand up six or seven times when I asked for questions, but wouldn’t speak when I pointed to her.
- 1 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 4 Green light for £1m in levies to be used for East End fire rescue ladder
- 5 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 6 'Laughing gas central': Call for action on antisocial behaviour
- 7 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 8 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 9 Bethnal Green rubbish 'attracts rats' as 'pingdemic' delays collections
- 10 No arrests after triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
“I found out she had problems at home. She came up to me afterwards and asked if she could be a pearly queen—when kids want to help others they often have problems themselves.”
His story, published by The Book Guild at �8.99, is about a Pearly family of ghosts which includes a horse called Mr Buttons, cat called Pearl and three-legged dog called Coster who find the sad children on earth by talking to their pets.