Pedal power pushes East End kids in virtual bike race
KIDS from East End schools have begun a gruelling 5,224 mile bike challenge, competing against 100,000 children from 550 schools across the country. During the month-long race pupils, parents and teachers are clocking up mileage points each time they cyc
KIDS from East End schools have begun a gruelling 5,224 mile bike challenge, competing against 100,000 children from 550 schools across the country.
During the month-long race pupils, parents and teachers are clocking up mileage points each time they cycle to school.
Nearly 2,000 children from the East End will get the chance to be involved in the race, which aims to inspire and encourage pupils, parents and teachers to cycle on a regular basis.
Each short trip is awarded a set amount of miles, contributing to the school's virtual journey around the UK.
The results are fed into a central database, on the race website, where the school's total mileage is then calculated and its national position verified ad the first school to collect the total 5,224 mileage will be declared winner.
The winning school will play host to the MAD Mountain Bike Display Team which will spend a day performing bike handling tricks and skills at the school, while seven regional runner-ups will receive a work stand and fully kitted out toolbox and bike helmets.
- 1 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 2 Bow man appears in court charged with murder after body found in cemetery
- 3 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
- 4 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
- 5 New Kray twins book to explore lives of gangsters 'aside from the crimes'
- 6 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 7 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 8 Councillor says he 'hopes to lose' next election
- 9 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 10 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute