Pedal power pushes East End kids in virtual bike race
KIDS from East End schools have begun a gruelling 5,224 mile bike challenge, competing against 100,000 children from 550 schools across the country. During the month-long race pupils, parents and teachers are clocking up mileage points each time they cyc
KIDS from East End schools have begun a gruelling 5,224 mile bike challenge, competing against 100,000 children from 550 schools across the country.
During the month-long race pupils, parents and teachers are clocking up mileage points each time they cycle to school.
Nearly 2,000 children from the East End will get the chance to be involved in the race, which aims to inspire and encourage pupils, parents and teachers to cycle on a regular basis.
Each short trip is awarded a set amount of miles, contributing to the school's virtual journey around the UK.
You may also want to watch:
The results are fed into a central database, on the race website, where the school's total mileage is then calculated and its national position verified ad the first school to collect the total 5,224 mileage will be declared winner.
The winning school will play host to the MAD Mountain Bike Display Team which will spend a day performing bike handling tricks and skills at the school, while seven regional runner-ups will receive a work stand and fully kitted out toolbox and bike helmets.
- 1 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 4 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 5 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 500 deaf children wait to see if their education needs will be cut by Tower Hamlets Council
- 10 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars