Pensioner found dead in Shadwell Basin named
A pensioner whose body was recovered from the River Thames at Shadwell Basin on the bank holiday weekend has been named as Amina Gulaid.
Police were called to the scene, off The Highway between Wapping and Shadwell, at around 12.04pm on Sunday, August 25 after members of the public reported seeing a body in the water.
A crew from the Metropolitan Police’s marine unit also attended, and the body was removed from the basin.
The 83-year-old woman lived in Shadwell Gardens, near where her body was found.
A post-mortem examination took place at Poplar Coroner’s Court last week.
You may also want to watch:
Police are treating the deadth as non-suspicious, and no date has yet been set for the inquest.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 8 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 9 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 10 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel