Pensioner found dead in Shadwell Basin named
A pensioner whose body was recovered from the River Thames at Shadwell Basin on the bank holiday weekend has been named as Amina Gulaid.
Police were called to the scene, off The Highway between Wapping and Shadwell, at around 12.04pm on Sunday, August 25 after members of the public reported seeing a body in the water.
A crew from the Metropolitan Police’s marine unit also attended, and the body was removed from the basin.
The 83-year-old woman lived in Shadwell Gardens, near where her body was found.
A post-mortem examination took place at Poplar Coroner’s Court last week.
Police are treating the deadth as non-suspicious, and no date has yet been set for the inquest.
- 1 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets
- 2 Delayed Canary Wharf 'portacabin' hotel hopes to open in 2022
- 3 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 4 Free vegan food at Spitalfields Market
- 5 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 6 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 7 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 8 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 9 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
- 10 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?