Phillips Idowu meets his own Olympic animated avatar
THE East End’s very own World Champion Triple Jumper has met his avatar for the London 2012 mascot film.
An animated version of gold medallist Phillips Idowu, who is known for sporting a range of bright hair colours and used to attend Bethnal Green’s Raine’s Foundation School, will join London 2012 Olympics mascots Wenlock and Mandeville in their second animated outing.
Written by children’s author Michael Morpurgo and narrated by Simon Russell Beale, four-minute film Adventures on a Rainbow also features diver Tom Daley and swimmer Ellie Simmonds. Phillips, complete with trademark red hair and piercings, can be seen finishing his triple jump with a flashing smile and a thumbs up.
The one-eyed mascots’ journey across the UK along rainbows and discover new sports, meet British champions and learn the history of the Olympics and Paralympics.
Wenlock and Mandeville have their own website, Facebook and Twitter accounts, and London 2012 organisers hope they will make a splash in the digital world.
You may also want to watch:
The pokemon lookalikes are charged with generating revenue through merchandise and inspiring children to take up sports in the run-up to the Olympics.
- 1 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 2 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 3 Docklands man pleaded guilty to firearms offences
- 4 Crossharbour scheme for 2,000 new homes on Isle of Dogs is halted
- 5 Working classes 'being pushed out by East End's gentrification'
- 6 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Driver threatened at gunpoint in Bromley-by-Bow carjacking
- 9 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 10 Police search park in Poplar after report of stabbing