Phillips Idowu meets his own Olympic animated avatar
THE East End’s very own World Champion Triple Jumper has met his avatar for the London 2012 mascot film.
An animated version of gold medallist Phillips Idowu, who is known for sporting a range of bright hair colours and used to attend Bethnal Green’s Raine’s Foundation School, will join London 2012 Olympics mascots Wenlock and Mandeville in their second animated outing.
Written by children’s author Michael Morpurgo and narrated by Simon Russell Beale, four-minute film Adventures on a Rainbow also features diver Tom Daley and swimmer Ellie Simmonds. Phillips, complete with trademark red hair and piercings, can be seen finishing his triple jump with a flashing smile and a thumbs up.
The one-eyed mascots’ journey across the UK along rainbows and discover new sports, meet British champions and learn the history of the Olympics and Paralympics.
Wenlock and Mandeville have their own website, Facebook and Twitter accounts, and London 2012 organisers hope they will make a splash in the digital world.
You may also want to watch:
The pokemon lookalikes are charged with generating revenue through merchandise and inspiring children to take up sports in the run-up to the Olympics.
- 1 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 2 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 3 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 6 New pizza restaurant opening with drag and disco party
- 7 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 8 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 9 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines