Phillips Idowu meets his own Olympic animated avatar
THE East End’s very own World Champion Triple Jumper has met his avatar for the London 2012 mascot film.
An animated version of gold medallist Phillips Idowu, who is known for sporting a range of bright hair colours and used to attend Bethnal Green’s Raine’s Foundation School, will join London 2012 Olympics mascots Wenlock and Mandeville in their second animated outing.
Written by children’s author Michael Morpurgo and narrated by Simon Russell Beale, four-minute film Adventures on a Rainbow also features diver Tom Daley and swimmer Ellie Simmonds. Phillips, complete with trademark red hair and piercings, can be seen finishing his triple jump with a flashing smile and a thumbs up.
The one-eyed mascots’ journey across the UK along rainbows and discover new sports, meet British champions and learn the history of the Olympics and Paralympics.
Wenlock and Mandeville have their own website, Facebook and Twitter accounts, and London 2012 organisers hope they will make a splash in the digital world.
You may also want to watch:
The pokemon lookalikes are charged with generating revenue through merchandise and inspiring children to take up sports in the run-up to the Olympics.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 5 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims