Phoenix café rises in Spitalfields as supermarket chain’s ‘charity of the year’
- Credit: Vibrance charity
A supermarket has pledged to raise funds for the next 12 months for an employment chaity’s café hub in London’s East End as its ‘charity of the year’.
The community café in Bell Lane, Spitalfields, is now getting financial support from staff at nearby Sainsbury’s Local store.
Phoenix Blend, which is run by Vibrance social care charity, offers a community hub for people of all abilities and supported employment opportunities for adults with disabilities.
It had been “an obvious choice” for Sainsbury’s Bell Lane manager Mihir Patel when choosing a new charity.
“I’ve used the coffee shop since taking over at Bell Lane,” Mihir said. “We’ve already been involved with the charity, donating Christmas props and decorations and Sports Relief goodies.”
You may also want to watch:
The café opened in 2012 providing supported employment to 850 adults in London and the South East who have learning disabilities or mental health problems, offering additional day services, low-support housing, nursing and care homes.
The organisation employs 400 people and was named in 2012 in a Sunday paper’s ‘100 Best Companies To Work For’ list. The café in Bell Lane, five minutes from Liverpool Street station, opens 8am-4pm, Monday to Friday.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 8 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 9 O’s seeking to end winless run of three games with win over struggling Saddlers
- 10 Man, 19, charged after alleged sexual assaults in Tower Hamlets