Pilgrims warned to be vigilant against dodgy Hajj operators
HAJJ pilgrims are being advised how to avoid falling victim to rogue firms. Every year more than 25,000 British Muslims make the annual pilgrimage to Mecca but some are defrauded disreputable tour operators. Tower Hamlets council is warning people to be e
HAJJ pilgrims are being advised how to avoid falling victim to rogue firms.
Every year more than 25,000 British Muslims make the annual pilgrimage to Mecca but some are defrauded disreputable tour operators.
Tower Hamlets council is warning people to be extra vigilant while making preparations for Hajj, which takes place in less than three months.
Community safety leader Cllr Abdal Ullah said: "The majority of travel operators arranging Hajj pilgrimages are providing an excellent service.
You may also want to watch:
"However, there is still a minority who are simply out to make money at the expense of others.
"This is a special time for people and we hope that they take care to book their tickets through reputable agents.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 2 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 3 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 4 New Providence Wharf fire: Two in hospital and 42 treated at scene
- 5 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 6 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 7 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 8 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 9 New Providence Wharf: The four-year fight to remove 'Grenfell cladding'
- 10 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
"If people do find they have problems they can always contact our trading standards teams who have taken successful action against fraudulent operators in the past."
Trading standards officer Nazir Ali added: "With Hajj tour packages costing an average �2,500, falling foul of a rogue firm can be an expensive and traumatic experience.
"Our advice is to book with a company recommended by friends or family, check if it is Air Travel Organiser's Licence protected and don't hand over any money until the itinerary has been agreed in writing."
Anyone with concerns or who would like help with booking can contact Tower Hamlets council trading standards at firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 7364 5008.