Plans to close rat run’ loophole from A12 Blackwall Tunnel route
PLANS to close off a short cut used by drivers trying to avoid traffic queues on the A12 Blackwall Tunnel Approach have gone on public display. Vehicles use the B125 Abbott Road in Poplar during the rush-hour to get onto the A13 East India Dock Road to avoid the congested junction further south
PLANS to close off a short cut used by drivers trying to avoid traffic queues on the A12 Blackwall Tunnel Approach in East London have gone on public display today.
Southbound vehicles use the B125 Abbott Road in Poplar during the rush-hour to get onto the A13 East India Dock Road from the A12 to avoid the congested junction further south.
But Tower Hamlets Council wants to end the 'rat run' and put up a barrier in Abbott Road, which is classified 'through' route, leaving a small gap for cyclists.
Planners also wants to put in chicanes jutting out from pavements in nearby Dee Street and Leven Road to prevent drivers using the side turnings to bypass the barrier.
You may also want to watch:
The proposed traffic scheme has gone on public show in the foyer at Poplar's Aberfeldy neighbourhood centre in Aberfeldy Street, until next Saturday, October 31.
Town Hall officials are around for two hours to answer questions on Monday from 12noon, then again on Wednesday 5-8pm and Friday 2-5pm. Views can also be sent to the Town Hall by email here.
- 1 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 4 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 5 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff
- 6 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 7 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 8 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 9 Tokyo 2020: Poplar children have their own 'Olympics'
- 10 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?