Plans to close rat run’ loophole from A12 Blackwall Tunnel route
PLANS to close off a short cut used by drivers trying to avoid traffic queues on the A12 Blackwall Tunnel Approach have gone on public display. Vehicles use the B125 Abbott Road in Poplar during the rush-hour to get onto the A13 East India Dock Road to avoid the congested junction further south
PLANS to close off a short cut used by drivers trying to avoid traffic queues on the A12 Blackwall Tunnel Approach in East London have gone on public display today.
Southbound vehicles use the B125 Abbott Road in Poplar during the rush-hour to get onto the A13 East India Dock Road from the A12 to avoid the congested junction further south.
But Tower Hamlets Council wants to end the 'rat run' and put up a barrier in Abbott Road, which is classified 'through' route, leaving a small gap for cyclists.
Planners also wants to put in chicanes jutting out from pavements in nearby Dee Street and Leven Road to prevent drivers using the side turnings to bypass the barrier.
You may also want to watch:
The proposed traffic scheme has gone on public show in the foyer at Poplar's Aberfeldy neighbourhood centre in Aberfeldy Street, until next Saturday, October 31.
Town Hall officials are around for two hours to answer questions on Monday from 12noon, then again on Wednesday 5-8pm and Friday 2-5pm. Views can also be sent to the Town Hall by email here.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 3 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower